Steak Knife Comparison
|Blade Steel||Stainless||Stainless||Stainless||High |
Steak Knife Buying Guide
What is a Steak Knife?
Just as you would want sharpness from a good kitchen knife, you will want it even more so from a steak knife. This kind of knife should be not only comfortable, but also well-balanced and sturdy. But keep in mind that just using a sharp kitchen knife to cut steak isn’t going to suffice. Steak knives are different than regular knives in two important ways.
- Steak Knives need to look good. A kitchen knife is basically used for utility, whereas a steak knife should be designed to look and feel elegant to enhance the whole experience. A steak knife should feature a beautiful design that just makes you want to touch it. Most people are willing to spend a bit extra money on a fine set of steak knives that are going to look handsome on the dining room table while also standing the test of time.
- You use steak knives on a plate, and not a cutting board. This is a significant difference, because cutting boards are forgiving, while plates are not. This makes it more important to select the proper edge for your knife so that it does no damage.
Steak Knife Edge
When it comes to choosing the right edge there are three options for you to choose from: serrated, straight, and micro-serrated.
- Straight Edged Knives: Although these seem like a great choice because they can cut through steak like butter, leaving a smooth cut that looks appealing, the problem is that you’re not using these with a cutting board, and they’re not always ideal for plates. You’re going to see that your ceramic plates are going to seriously wear down the razor sharp edge of this kind of knife. Even the fanciest straight-edged knives are going to suffer from this problem, even though they’re made from forged stainless steel. But it’s not just the straight edged ones that wear down like this.
- Micro Serrated Edges: A fine, micro-serrated edge is not much of an improvement over the straight edged knives. Unfortunately, they’re also subject to cheap craftsmanship. These edges are simply machined onto straight edged knives, and even though they grip food better, the serrations are going to dull and wear down over time. You can resharpen a straight edge, but you cannot do so with micro-serrations. That being said, the top rated knives above are the only exceptions to this.
- Serrated Knives: These are the steak knives of choice, and it’s true that you’re going to get a slightly more ragged cut of meat, but in the end this isn’t really a big deal. You want a product that cuts well repeatedly over time, and that’s what a serrated edge is going to give you. You want to keep your eye out for large serrations, as this is the best way for your knife to cut through lamb chops with ease, even when you use them over and over again on a plate. But not only do you want serrated edges, you also want something that is stylish and looks great on the table.
Many people falsely assume that a good quality steak knife is going to be expensive. This is simply not the case. There are many affordable steak knives on the market, and you buy them in sets. The top rated knives that we mentioned above are all at a reasonable price, and they come in sets of eight so that you have enough for a large dinner party. The price is certainly going to be a reflection of the quality construction and materials used, so do be willing to spend a little more than you otherwise planned so that you can get a set of knives that looks beautiful and will stand the test of time.
There are a number of different designs to choose from, with classic steak knives and ones that are quite contemporary, and the price of these is still going to be based upon the quality of the materials that go into construction. You’ll also find that some of the more expensive knives are backed by a lifetime warranty, and this is certainly worth the investment. If you want to save money on knives that aren’t as high in quality, then you’re going to find yourself having to purchase a whole new set of knives down the road.
Although the quality of the cut is key, you still want to keep in mind that one of the big advantages to owning steak knives is that they just look elegant, and make for a lovely presentation on your dining room table. There’s nothing more sophisticated than having a dinner party and laying finely crafted steak knives at each place setting. That’s why it’s so important to keep you eyes out for a design that you find appealing. You also want to pay some consideration to color, as many steak knives will come with different kinds of handles, and not just the traditional black.
Perhaps you will find something in burgundy that you find sophisticated, and there are even more fancy designs that use materials like ivory. It’s always a good idea to purchase your steak knives in a store, as this way you can see them in person and feel them in your hand. The knife should feel heavy, because it’s made from high quality materials, but it should still feel comfortable in the hand and give you a good grip for easy cutting.
There are some steak knives that are designed for versatility, allowing you to cut different kinds of meats and foods, but it is advised that instead of looking for a hybrid product you really just get a pair of traditional steak knives. These are the ones that are constructed for one purpose and one purpose only, and that’s why they do it so well. There’s something significant about getting out that elegant box of knives only when it’s time to serve steak. It adds a special quality to the situation, and the whole family and dinner guests will enjoy the presentation of this.
There’s nothing more important than maintaining your steak knives, and each brand is a little different when it comes to maintaining them properly. That is why it’s highly advised that you read the owner’s guide before washing and storing your knives, so that you can know the optimal way of doing both. Many contemporary steak knives can be washed in the dishwasher, but some will still advise you to not do so, and in these cases you need to pay attention to that. You can do serious damage to steak knives by washing them in the dishwasher when they’re not supposed to be.
Also, if your steak knives come with a display box then be sure to use it. There’s no sense in buying high quality steak knives only to throw them in the utensil drawer with all the rest. To keep your knives in pristine condition you want to make sure to always store them in the box that they came in so they can keep their ideal shape and be free from scuffing. Some steak knives will need to be sent in for sharpening every couple of years, but there are now many on the market that won’t require sharpening for the rest of their lives. That certainly is a very appealing feature and if you want a set that can do that then make sure that you still maintain them as best you can.
Steak Knives come in various different sizes, from petite to the jumbo ones that you find at steakhouses. Which one you choose largely comes down to your tastes, and what feels comfortable in your hand. If both you and your spouse are interested in buying knives, then it’s best to go together to pick something out so that you can both feel them in your hands to see what works for both of you. Although the petite ones are quite elegant, the large ones give off a powerful appearance that also looks great on dining room tables.
Steak knives are not just for cutting steaks, they’re for elegance as well. Eating steak is a special, luxury experience that should not be taken for granted. We highlighted the top rated steak knives that customers love for their solid construction and beautiful appearance. These knives are sure to add that extra touch to any dinner party where steak is being served. In our buyer’s guide we highlighted some features that you want to look out for when buying steak knives.
There are so many out there to choose from, and that’s why it can seem daunting when it comes time to purchase the perfect steak knives for you. But take heart, finding the right knives is as easy as knowing what it is that you are looking for, and how you’re going to be using the knives throughout the years. You can purchase the top rated steak knives with confidence, or continue your search to find something that suits your needs.