That was our top criteria for selecting the best hand mixer.
If you’re ready to get right to mixing, Cuisinart Power Advantage Plus Handheld Mixer scored high marks in all categories and is our top pick.
Hand Mixer Comparison
|Power||220 Watts||250 Watts||290 Watts||250 Watts||250 Watts||72 Watts||150 Watts||250 Watts||220 Watts||250 Watts|
| Stainless |
|Warranty||3 Years||1 Year||1 Year||1 Year||5 Years||1 Year||2 Years||2 Years||1 Year||1 Year|
Hand Mixer Buying Guide
What is a Hand Mixer?
Hand mixers are some of the best kitchen appliances you can have in your arsenal, allowing you to whip thick cream, make meringue, or even knead bread dough for fresh homemade loaves. There are basically three types of power mixers on the market, and this includes hand mixers, hand blenders, and stand mixers. Electric hand mixers are a wonderful option because they make everyday tasks easy, such as beating eggs, mixing cake batter, or creaming butter and sugar together for delectable sugar cookies. This is an indispensable kitchen tool, especially if you’re someone who likes to bake. These appliances can range in price anywhere from $10 to $100, and choosing the right mixer is all about knowing the various styles and models that are available to you.
- Lightweight: The greatest advantage of a hand mixer is that it’s lightweight. They can perform many different kitchen tasks efficiently, and they’re light enough to hold in your hand, and compact enough to stow after you are done. If you simply don’t have room for a stand mixer, then a hand mixer is definitely the solution for you.
- Power: The power of a hand mixer is measured in wattage, but many experts say wattage isn’t necessarily the indicator of how strong the motor will be. Most mixers range anywhere from 200 to 250 watts of power, which is perfectly fine for a good hand mixer to blend batters. It’s always a good idea to read reviews to learn about the durability, motor power, and RPMs of the mixer you’re interested in. You want a mixer that can handle thick cookie dough or heavy potatoes without any strain.
- Speed: You shouldn’t allow wattage to be your only guide for finding the right hand mixer. Consider RPMs, as most mixers will range from 200 to 400 RPMs. Professional models, on the other hand, can get up to 10,000 RPMs, but you should look for a hand mixer that has at least 3 speeds to choose from. If you want to expand your options, then you can find models that have as many as 7 speeds. Models that have a slow start setting are particularly handy when incorporating dry ingredients. The highest speed should be rapid enough to whip egg whites for a delicious meringue or soufflé. If you’re looking for precision mixing, then find a model with at least 5 speeds to choose from.
- Functionality: Any good hand mixer is going to be versatile in nature. You can find hand mixers that are diverse enough to fulfill all the functions of a stand mixer and hand blender combined. You want to look for maximum functionality, and those models that come with a selection of attachments and features. Here are some things you should look for:
- Locking Power Heads: Many models will have these, but it’s important to check. The worst thing is when you have the beaters popping out during your mixing. Locking heads will keep the attachments in place until you press the release button.
- Stainless Steel Attachments: This is the best material for beaters, whisks, and hooks, unless you’re doing your mixing in nonstick cookware. This material is also strong, durable, and dishwasher safe.
- No Center Posts: You want beaters without center posts as these are much easier to clean and will leave more ingredients in the bowl, instead of clinging to the beater.
- Separate Whisk Attachment: This is perfect for whipping cream, beating eggs, and forming stiff peaks for meringues. A wire whisk is designed for aerating ingredients to achieve these results. You can either get a stainless steel whisk attachment or other non-stick material.
- Dough Hook: Many hand mixers won’t have a powerful enough motor for kneading dense bread dough. However, this hook is useful for blending the ingredients. This is also great for working with heavy cookie dough or for folding ingredients into a batter.
When it comes to choosing the right hand mixer, you really want to focus on comfort and convenience. Most models weigh about 4 to 6 pounds, so look out for something that seems well balanced and ergonomically designed. It should have a natural, comfortable angle when you use it which will prevent any wrist and shoulder discomfort, and the handle should allow you a firm grip. Models with a soft silicone grip are a good idea, and some will provide a swivel cord which makes it easy to use the mixer for either your right or left hand, and increases maneuverability.
Also, when comparing models, make sure the cord is long enough to reach from the outlet at your desired work station. Not only is comfort key, but convenience is of importance. Consider the size of the hand mixer, as you want it to fit neatly into your cupboard or drawer. Some designs will give you a handy case to store the mixer and all its accessories. Also, those with a smooth, seamless underside are much easier to clean. Many models will have a digital touch pad control which is easier to keep clean than knobs and buttons. Some will even have LED displays that are easier to read.
A bowl rest feature is an indentation on the underside of the mixer, and this allows you to safely set the mixer down on the edge of the bowl without dripping on your counters. Also look out for a release button that lets you eject the beaters or whisk without having to touch them. All of these features are going to add to the overall experience of mixing, no matter what level of power, speed, and functionality that you choose. You’re going to see that these elements are going to greatly enhance your experience of making double chocolate chip cookies, soufflés, airy angel food cake, and so much more.
If you’re someone who loves to bake, then you’re going to find that a quality hand mixer is indispensable in your kitchen. There are many hand mixers out there to choose from, so you want to look for one that is high quality, convenient, comfortable, and efficient. We discussed the top rated hand mixers on the market, and these are praised for their ability to mix with power and speed. In our buyer’s guide we highlighted the key features that you want to look for in a hand mixer, so you can better understand the options that you have. Once you know how much you’re willing to spend, and how you’ll be using your mixer, you’ll be well on your way to finding the appliance that is just perfect for you.
- Cuisinart: https://www.cuisinart.com/
- Oster: http://www.oster.com/
- Hamilton Beach: http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/