Lawn tractors are just plain awesome. If you have an extra-large lawn, and you’re sick of pushing the mower around for hours on end, then it’s definitely time to upgrade your game and upgrade your lawn equipment by purchasing a high-quality lawn tractor. There are so many models on the market and all of them will offer you different features and accessories that make mowing your lawn easier and more enjoyable than ever. We like the Husqvarna tractors the best when you take price, reliability, maneuverability and the number of available attachments into consideration.
Lawn Tractor Comparison
Poulan Pro PB22VA48
Poulan Pro 967330901
Poulan Pro PB24VA54
Poulan Pro PB20A46
Poulan Pro P54ZX
|Generator||16 A||13 A||16 A||18 A||16 A||18 A||16 A||16 A||13 A||16 A|
|Starter||Push Button||Key Start||Push Button||Key Start||Key Start||Key Start||Key Start||Key Start||Key Start||Push Button|
|Fuel Tank Volume|
| Front Tire Size|
|15.00 x 6.60||13.00 x 6.00||15.00 x 6.00||15.00 x 6.00||11.00 x 5.00||15.00 x 6.00||15.00 x 6.00||11.00 x 4.50||12.00 x 6.00||11.00 x 6.00|
|Rear Tire Size|
|20.00 x 8.80||16.00 x 9.00||22.00 x 9.50||20.00 x 8.00||18.00 x 8.00||20.00 x 8.00||20.00 x 8.00||18.00 x 9.58||20.00 x 8.00||18.00 x 9.00|
|Speed Forward, |
|0.00 – 7.40||0.00 – 4.25||0.00 – 5.50||0.00 – 7.30||0.00 – 6.00||0.00 – 5.50||0.00 – 5.50||0.00 – 6.00||0.00 – 8.00||0.00 – 6.50|
|Speed Reverse, |
|0.00 – 2.90||0.00 – 1.50||0.00 -3.30||0.00 – 1.40||0.00 – 3.00||0.00 – 1.70||0.00 – 1.70||0.00 – 3.00||0.00 – 8.00||0.00 – 3.50|
|Side Discharge |
| Anti-Scalp |
| Cutting Height, |
|1.50 – 4.00||1.50 – 3.50||1.50 – 4.00||1.50 – 4.00||1.50 – 4.00||1.50 – 4.00||1.50 – 4.00||1.50 – 4.00||1.50 – 4.50||1.50 – 4.00|
Lawn Tractor Buying Guide
What is a Lawn Tractor?
There’s something iconic about pushing a mower across your lawn on a fine Sunday afternoon, but if you have a seriously large landscape, you could be pushing that mower all day long. A lawn tractor allows you to accomplish larger mowing tasks, in less time and in more comfort. Purchasing a lawn tractor is a huge investment, and that’s why it’s important to take the time to educate yourself about lawn tractors before you take the plunge. There are a lot of models out there on the market, so make sure that you purchase a tractor that is just right for you. This Buyer’s Guide is intended to steer you on the right path, and educate you about what kinds of lawn tractors there are out there, so you can make the most informed decision. You’re going to see remarkable results with your lawn, and you’re also going to experience what it’s like to have fun while cutting your grass.
There are so many benefits to owning and operating a riding mower, such as attachments, ease of use, and pleasure.
- Health Conditions: Lawn tractors are great for those who have health conditions as they allow riders who can’t stand or push things to still mow their own lawns. Riding a mower is almost like driving a car, especially when you upgrade to pedal drive, and this is the ideal configuration for those who have trouble standing for a prolonged period of time. Should you not have much upper body strength, then mowers with easy key starts will eliminate the need to pull a cord. It’s also possible to get a mower that has a sun shade if you’re sensitive to the sun.
- Attachments: This is the biggest difference between push mowers and riding mowers. Push mowers will basically only do one thing, and that is to cut grass. On the other hand, riding mowers can be used for many purposes when you add additional attachments. You can use your riding mower to spread grass seed or fertilizer, take advantage of auger or dethatcher attachments, and you can even use it as a snow plow.
- Saves you Money: Over time, owning and operating a lawn tractor is going to save you money. If you’ve been paying someone to landscape your lawn for a while now, then you’re well aware how much that costs. Even though a lawn tractor costs more than a traditional mower, it will eventually pay for itself with time if you have an extra large lawn. Not only will it be saving you money, but folks tend to find riding a lawn tractor to be enjoyable and fun.
What’s Your Landscape Like?
When purchasing a lawn tractor, it’s important to buy a model that fits your unique landscape. The size of your lawn is a huge factor in your decision. The more powerful mowers with larger cut widths will handle larger areas more efficiently, and they allow you to spend less time mowing. Ask yourself what kind of terrain you’re dealing with, whether it’s level or hillier, and what obstacles you will face, such as flower beds and trees. These elements that you need to work around will inform your choice of lawn tractor. Say your lawn is 1/2 an acre or smaller, then it’s probably a better decision to go with a push mower. Aside from the various sizes of mowers, you can also choose between different types to find a machine that works best for your unique landscape and the specific type of work that you need to do.
Do You Need a Lawn Tractor?
You’re here to buy a lawn tractor, but be sure that is the machine that you really need. These kinds of tractors feature a traditional design and operate with a steering wheel. These machines are best for lawns that span anywhere from 1/2 an acre to 2 acres in size. Lawn tractors will also have optional attachments that allow you to bag clippings and leaves, haul landscaping materials, aerate and remove snow, spread seed, and so much more. You can also find garden tractors, which share the same design as lawn tractors but use more attachments and have more powerful engines installed. Garden tractors will also have heavy-duty transmissions, and are ideal when you’re dealing with several acres of land.
Zero-Turn-Radius (ZTR) Mowers
A ZTR mower is meant to navigate various different obstacles, and they feature front caster wheels that are designed to pivot at sharper angles than lawn and garden tractors. A ZTR is controlled with a pair of lap bars and levers instead of a traditional steering wheel. It should be noted that a ZTR does not handle the wide variety of tasks that a tractor does, but it does have a higher forward speed for open areas and can easily cut around flower beds, landscaping and trees. If you have a lot of these obstacles on your lawn, then a ZTR might be a better investment for you than a lawn tractor.
It’s important to talk a bit about riding mower transmissions, as there are various transmission types out there, and they all have different capabilities.
- Manual Transmission: A manual transmission offers you a range of set speeds that you can select. It’s best to look for a mower that allows you to shift up or down without needing to stop or use the clutch.
- Automatic Transmission: This type of transmission performs very much like a car transmission, where you control the speed using the gas pedal. This allows you to easily change the speed, and it is useful if you need to slow down often in order to work around various obstacles.
- Hydrostatic Transmission: Much like an automatic transmission, a hydrostatic transmission is a bit different as it uses fluid instead of belts to transfer power from the engine to the wheels. This transition offers you a smooth ride, and will require less maintenance. Hydrostatic transmission will also last you longer.
Owning a lawn tractor offers you not only a comfortable way to cut grass, but you also get a wide range of features that make the experience even more complete. When you have an understanding of what features are available for you, it will help you to find the best mower for your specific needs.
- Engine Horsepower: The HP measurement on your lawn tractor will tell you what the power output of the engine is, and this power is shared by many components such as the transmission and blades.
- Engine Displacement: This describes the size of the cylinder in your engine. Manufacturers will measure this displacement in cubic centimeters, and a higher cc measurement will indicate a more powerful engine.
- Engine Torque: This measurement will be cited in foot-pounds, and it refers to the force that keeps the mower blades spinning. When you have a higher torque, you will get a more even cut in tall and thick grass.
- V-Twin Engine: This kind of engine on a larger tractor or ZTR will offer you more power than any single cylinder engine, and you’ll also enjoy reduced vibration. When you have less vibration you will have less wear, better comfort, and quieter operation. You’ll also see that a V-Twin engine will run cooler, burn fuel more cleanly, and extends your overall engine life.
- Cruise Control: This is available with some automatic and hydrostatic transmissions, and it allows you to stay in one speed to mow longer, more straight stretches of land.
- Cut Width: This refers to the width of a swath of grass that the mower cuts in a single pass, and it directly relates to the blade number. You’ll find that some small tractors will have only one blade, but for the most part, having two or three blades is most common for tractors and ZTRs.
- Deck Wheels: These will help to maintain the mowing height over uneven terrain.
- Turning Radius: This is used to describe how tightly the mower can be turned. If you have a smaller turning radius then you can make sharper turns with your mower, and this is useful if your lawn has many obstacles to traverse. The speed will vary by model, but most lawn tractors will have forward speeds of up to 6 miles per hour. ZTR mowers will go a bit faster than this, reaching 8 mph.
- Mulching and Bagger Capabilities: This is used to describe whether mulching or bagger attachments are compatible with your mower. Most riding mowers will not come with this attachment, but some are able to accept them.
- Automatic Parking Brakes: These are available on ZTR mowers, and they are meant to improve the safety and convenience of the tractor. They activate as you move the lap bars forward.
- Comfort Features: These are always important to look out for, especially if you use the tractor often. Such features include high-back seats, armrests, lumbar support features, extended leg room, as well as rubber foot pads that make mowing more comfortable.
Handling Grass Clippings
There are various ways that a riding mower will handle glass clippings, so it’s best to know what your options are. When you better understand what grass clipping options there are, you can better decide which type is suited to your unique needs.
Side Discharge Mowers
With a side discharge mower the clippings will be directed out onto the lawn. This is helpful if you’re facing grass that is particularly coarse or tall. If the clippings are also quite thick, you will need to rake them up and dispose of them after mowing. This will be one more step in the process.
Bagger Capable Mowers
This type of mower will collect clippings with a collection bag that you purchase separately. This feature will keep your lawn looking clean without the need to rake, and it will reduce the spread of weed seeds. These kinds of mowers are also great for clearing leaves during the fall. Factor-in the fact that it will take extra time to empty the bag after use, particularly if you have a large or tall lawn, and it will add time to your mowing.
Mulching Capable Mowers
This type of mower can turn clippings into mulch which adds nutrients to your soil, in turn. If you mow regularly then mulching is a great idea, especially if your grass isn’t too tall. Many mowers will have a mulching capability built in, but may require you to purchase an add-on kit. This kit will generally include a plug for the deck to hold the clippings, blades to cut grass into mulching size, as well as necessary attachment hardware.
Keep in mind that some areas do not allow yard waste to be thrown in the trash. Should you rake or bag your clippings and your community doesn’t have a collection program, then it’s possible to compost them. The best thing to do is turn these clippings into nutrients for your soil. Should the clippings be free of weed seeds and pesticide, it’s best to use them to mulch around your yard.
Tips and Tricks
There are many lawn tractors that are designed to help you maintain your landscape during lawn season as well as year-round. In general, lawn tractors will use a wider range of attachments than a ZTR, but the possibilities will vary from model to model. Before you purchase a tractor, be sure that you know what it can handle. Here are some tips for how you can get the most out of your lawn tractor.
- Be sure to take care of your landscape in the spring by rolling out uneven spots, spread some fertilizer, haul plants, and then mulch and bag clippings. It is sometimes also a good idea to aerate your soil and dethatch the turf before spreading seed.
- Bag clippings during the summer when the grass grows too tall and then mulch the rest of the time. While you’re mowing, be sure to add a canopy for shade.
- Sweeping leaves in the fall is a great way to rejuvenate your yard, then spread fertilizer, and for cool season lawns, be sure to aerate, dethatch, and spread seed.
- Clear away all winter debris and clear the snow from the sidewalks and driveways.
- Take care to always follow the mowing and attachment instructions that the manufacturer provides. Be familiar with all the safety instructions, including suggestions for safety gear.
- All mowers will require regular maintenance to run efficiently, so be sure to adhere to the directions in your owner’s manual.
- Always take care to fuel your mower properly, and follow the manufacturer’s requirements to keep your machine running properly.
If you have a large lawn, then you’re going to enjoy the benefits of owning a lawn tractor. This wonderful piece of equipment will not only help you to mow large areas in style and comfort, but it also makes it faster and more efficient. Not only that, but riding a lawn tractor can be quite fun. There are a lot of lawn tractors on the market, and they are certainly quite an investment. More expensive than a traditional mower, a lawn tractor offers you more features and benefits, and many of them are compact enough to not require much storage space.
In the above Buyer’s Guide, we highlighted some features that make certain lawn tractors stand out from the rest. Once you know exactly what a lawn tractor can do for you, you’ll be better able to make an informed decision about what might be the best model for you. Ask yourself how much you’re willing to spend, what features are most important for you, and examine what obstacles you have on your lawn. Once you’re aware of the answers to these questions, you’ll be on the right path to choosing the lawn tractor that perfectly fulfills your needs.
No matter what tractor you choose, you’re going to enjoy being able to take advantage of it for years to come. Your lawn is going to be in the best condition you’ve ever seen it, and you’re going to probably wonder how you ever went so long without owning a lawn tractor.
- Husqvarna: http://www.husqvarna.com/
- Poulan: http://poulanridinglawnmower.budgement.com/
- Snapper: http://snapperlawnmowers.zippdx.com/