If you are waking up tired, achy, and even grumpy each morning the first culprit to look at is your mattress. Most people don’t realize how much the right mattress can affect not only the quality of your sleep but the quality of your life as well. If you haven’t been sleeping well and your mattress is the same one you have been sleeping on for years (or in some people’s cases, decades) it may be time to get a new one.
Top 10 Most Comfortable Mattresses
|Mattress||Thickness (in)||Memory Foam||Certified|
|Zinus||6, 8, 10, 12||Yes||Certi-PUR|
|TUFT & NEEDLE||10||No||Greenguard Gold, Certi PUR|
|Signature Sleep||6, 8, 10, 12||Yes||Certi-PUR|
|LUCID||8, 10, 12||Yes||Certi-PUR|
|SleepNation||10.50, 13, 14||Yes||No|
|Stearns & Foster||15||Yes||No|
Most Comfortable Mattress Comparison
TUFT & NEEDLE
Stearns & Foster
|Size Available||Narrow Twin, Twin, Twin XL, Full, Short Queen, Queen, King||Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King||Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King||Twin XL||Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King, Full XL, Short Queen||Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King||Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King||Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King||Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King, Split California King||King|
|Thickness (in)||6, 8, 10, 12||10||6, 8, 10, 12||8||8, 10, 12||10||12||10.50, 13, 14||15||12.50|
|Certified||Certi-PUR||Greenguard Gold, Certi PUR||Certi-PUR||Certi-PUR||Certi-PUR||Oeko-Tex||Oeko-Tex, CertiPUR-US||No||No||No|
Most Comfortable Mattress Buying Guide
There are several different types of mattresses on the market today. The variety of different styles, brands, and materials can be overwhelming even if you think you know what you want. The following guide will help you identify the best and most efficient way to get the mattress you are looking for without spending an absolute fortune.
Below we have listed the most common types of mattresses that are available:
- Memory Foam Mattress – Memory foam mattresses are probably the most popular type of mattresses purchased by consumers looking for a comfortable bed. If you suffer from any kind of joint or back pain, memory foam is an excellent choice. There are many different variations available in the memory foam mattress world. You can choose from different thicknesses, different construction materials including gel-infused styles, different mattress sizes and different combinations of foam layers. One thing remains the same with all of these mattresses and that is you will sleep better, have less tossing and turning, and will wake up feeling a lot more refreshed. Memory foam mattresses are designed to reduce pressure points by conforming to the shape of the user’s body. This makes having a memory foam mattress very personal to each person. This is very beneficial since people are all shapes and sizes.
- Innerspring Mattress – Innerspring mattresses are the traditional style of mattress that has been around for decades. This type of mattress is the most economical. There are many different variations of innerspring mattresses including pillow top, infused gel, and those that have memory foam on top of the innerspring mattresses. Innerspring mattresses have a lot of bounce to them which means when one person move or turns it can affect the other person sleeping in the bed as well. It can also be difficult to get comfortable on an innerspring mattress if you suffer from joint pain and back problems.
- Adjustable Air Mattress – This type of mattress can be inflated to the desired level of firmness by using a pump that attaches to the bed. Most of these types of mattresses also have layers of memory foam on top for comfort. Some adjustable air beds have the ability to set the firmness level for each person which can be beneficial if one person needs a significantly different level of firmness.
Finding the Right Mattress for Your Needs
One of the first things you need to do before you purchase your mattress is determine what your specific needs are. Do you like super firm mattresses? Do you suffer from arthritis or back pain? You can do this by looking at the different points we have listed below. What your preferences are will determine which type of mattress will work the best for you.
- If you want a bouncy bed – The best type of bed for someone who likes a bouncier bed is going to be an innerspring style. The level of bounciness is determined by the metal coils that are used to make the mattress. The firmest coils are 12 gauge and the bounciest are 18 gauge. If you are a taller or larger person you will probably be happier with the thicker gauge (12). Most innerspring mattresses have foam outside layer or it will be made from fiberfill that is covered with a quilted material. The one recurring problem that tends to happen with innerspring mattresses is they lose their cushion and you can end up feeling like you’re lying directly on the metal coils themselves.
- If you want an extra firm bed – A memory foam bed is a great choice for those who like really firm beds. Because they have a polyurethane core there is a lot less spring in a memory foam mattress than an innerspring one. Firmness will be determined by the thickness of the mattress and the density of the foam as well.
- If you want a buoyant bed – Mattresses that are latex are similar to memory foam when it comes to firmness but they offer a little bit more spring. Other benefits to latex mattresses are they last a super long time (20 years or longer), they are resistant to dust mites and mold, and they are antimicrobial. The two most common types of latex used in mattresses are Dunlop and Talalay. Dunlap is heavier and denser than Talalay which is much softer to the touch as well.
What is Your Lifestyle?
Now that you have learned about the four different types of mattresses available, there are some other things you should take into consideration as well to ensure that you choose the perfect mattress.
- Side sleepers - Most people sleep in a favorite position. There are back sleepers, stomach sleepers, and side sleepers. If you like to sleep on your side, you want to choose a mattress that “gives” with your body rather than having little give that can cause pressure points and discomfort. Memory foam mattresses are perfect for side sleepers because the design of the foam is meant to conform to the body rather than create an uncomfortable, non-giving pressure point.
- Stomach sleepers – Memory foam is not a good choice for stomach sleepers since it can cause a smothering feeling and the sleeper can become overheated. Some good choices for stomach sleepers are innerspring mattresses that are firmer, latex mattresses, and air filled varieties.
- Back Sleepers – Back sleepers want to look for a good middle ground when it comes to mattresses. You don’t want something that envelopes you too much or you will become overheated. If the mattress is too firm, you will end up with back pain and aches. Look for mattresses that offer some support without being too rigid.
- Tossing and turning partner – A memory foam mattress is a perfect choice for a person that either tosses or turns all night themselves or that sleeps with someone who tosses and turns. Memory foam typically has very good motion isolation so when one person moves the other person is not disturbed. Some other types of mattresses may have this feature as well. The problem with motion isolation mattresses is that they can be even more uncomfortable for the one who is tossing and turning.
- Overheating – Latex topped mattresses and some types of foam mattresses can trap body heat in and cause you to feel sweaty and overheated, especially if they are super soft. The coolest mattresses are probably going to be fiber-filled innersprings although technological advancements in memory foam manufacturing are including ways to produce memory foam mattresses that stay cool all night long.
- Allergy sufferers – If you deal with a lot of allergies, the best mattresses will be those that reduce allergens and that are resistant to dust mites, mold, and other problems. Foam is an excellent choice for those with a lot of allergies as is latex mattresses. Inner springs would be better for allergy sufferers if they are encased in an allergen resistant cover.
All of the information we have provided for you will help you determine your specific needs or the needs of the person you are purchasing the mattress for and then apply that information to your research so you can sort through all of the choices available.
The top ten chart above lists ten great mattresses that are made from quality materials and provide the users with comfort and a great night’s sleep according to high praise from the consumers who purchase them.
In addition we provided you with detailed reviews five comfortable mattresses that scored at the top of the charts in all categories. If you want to hurry and get a great mattress, one of these choices is perfect.
If you want to do a little more research, we have given you the information you need to make an informed decision on the right mattress for your needs that will ensure you get a great night’s sleep.
- Zinus - https://www.zinus.com/
- Tuft and Needle - https://www.tuftandneedle.com/
- Signature Sleep - http://www.signaturesleep.com/eng/
- LUCID - https://www.lucidmattress.com/