Top 10 Showerheads
|HotelSpa||6.00||Stainless Steel, ABS|
|Vida Alegria||5.00||ABS Plastic|
|HotelSpa Designer||4.00||Stainless Steel, ABS|
AKDY (TM) Bathroom Shower
F & W A-Flow
Vida Alegría Spashower
HotelSpa Designer Ultra-Luxury
| Water Flow|
Showerhead Buying Guide
Before you start shopping
There are several things that you can have the answers for before you start your showerhead search. These are things you should think about when you start looking for that perfect showerhead for your home.
Do you need or want a handheld shower head? – Handheld showerheads can be very versatile and easy to use. The benefit to handheld showerheads is that they can be used as both a fixed showerhead when in the bracket and a handheld device when you take it out and the spray can be focused on a specific area. Hand held showerheads are also great for cleaning the tub and shower and also for washing young children’s hair or pets as well.
Do you have a water flow preference? – Many of the showerheads available on the market have multiple settings that allow the user to choose the type of water spray pattern they use for their showers. Some like the rain style water flow and others like a firm, massaging spray. Whatever your preference is, it is best a showerhead that has several settings to choose from for maximum flexibility.
What is the height of that tallest person using the shower? – You don’t want to bump your head on the showerhead constantly when you’re trying to take a shower. Large shower heads can hang down low and for super tall people this can really be a problem. On the flip side of that, if you are super short, it may be hard to change the setting on a showerhead if you can’t reach it. Try and find the showerhead style that will work for everyone in your household who will be using that shower.
How strong is your water pressure? – If water pressure is great in your bathrooms, you will not need to worry too much about the kind of showerhead you choose. On the other hand, if you have very low water pressure, a standard shower head may only provide a truckle for you. Aerated shower heads are much better to get because they add air to the water stream to increase the flow without adding more water.
Types of Showerheads
There are several different types of showerheads available on the market today. We have outlined the basic types below for your convenience. Make sure when you are choosing your showerhead that you look at things like the finish it has, the features it offers, the type of water spray it has and water pressure levels it works best with. Also look t whether it needs to be ceiling mounted or wall mounted and if you have the ability to accommodate the type of mount it takes.
Rain Showerhead – Rain showerheads are usually placed directly above the head, and create a feeling that mimics rainfall. They are eco-friendly in many cases and offer a way to save on water.
Adjustable Showerhead – This type of showerhead offers the user several different spray options and water pressures as well. The settings are typically changed by turning the shower head clockwise or counterclockwise to the desired water pressure and spray option.
Fixed Showerhead – This is a standard, no frills showerhead that is attached to a pipe that fits into a hole in the shower wall. There are usually no options on these types of showerheads and are often found in older, less costly hotels.
Dual Showerheads – this type offers you two choices, both a handheld showerhead and a fixed one. Both can be used at the same time or you can choose to just use one. There are typically different spray options and water pressure options with these models although maybe not as many as a fancier style.
Handheld Showerhead – The handheld shower head is attached to a long 4 or 5 foot hose and can be used in a fixed position, held into place by a bracket that is attached to the shower, or you can hold it in your hand to direct the spray wherever you want it to go. This style offers a lot of options, especially for washing a child’s hair or washing the pets in the tub.
Low Flow Showerhead – these showerheads are designed to do exactly as their name states, save water. Many have different water flow options and even pause settings where you can stop the flow of water without shutting the water off completely during conditioning treatments or shaving.
Types of Water Flow Patterns
A water flow pattern is the type of spray that comes out of the showerhead. Many showerheads have the ability to change the water flow pattern so you have a bit of a choice when it comes to deciding whether you want a hard, massaging flow or a light, gentle soaking one. We have listed the most common water flow patterns below.
Full – This type of water flow uses all the holes in the showerhead at once and is usually a pretty firm spray.
Jet – This spray pattern involves a high pressure water flow that can have one concentrated stream of water.
Massage – The massage water flow usually offers several pressure options and works just like a massager against the skin and scalp.
Rain – Rain water flow patterns are becoming more and more popular. They have a low flow pattern with light pressure mimics being in the rain. The large showerheads can usually produce plenty of water to get the hair rinsed sufficiently.
There are a lot of finishes that you can choose from when it comes to showerheads. These finishes can match your current décor or you can choose to add something completely new and different. It is better to match the finish if your shower head to the existing faucets in your bathroom unless you’re going to change all of them. Changing the faucets is a great and not terribly expensive way to give your bathroom a whole new look.
The most common available finishes are:
- Antique Nickel
- Bright Brass
- Brushed Bronze
- Brushed Chrome
- Polished Chrome
- Chrome and Polished Brass
- French Gold
- Antique Copper
- Polished Nickel
- Oil Rubbed Bronze
- Satin Nickel
- Polished Brass
- Wrought Iron
With all of these choices available for the finish of your showerhead, you are assured of finding one that will fit your preferences and décor.
Things to Look for in a Showerhead
There are several things you want to look for in the showerhead you choose for your home. These things will make your showerhead functional as well as enjoyable to use.
- Has a Strong Water Flow – When you’re comparing models of showerheads, be sure to look for those that claim they produce a powerful stream of water and offer plenty of coverage. Reading the reviews can help you verify that the one you’re looking at has these features.
- Reduces Water Usage – Saving water is always a goal of a homeowner and many showerheads offer water saving features that can be very helpful in reducing water costs. You will want to make sure that the water saving mode doesn’t cut you down to an annoying trickle of water that is virtually useless.
- Maintains Water Temperature – Aerating showerheads have a tendency to cool the water between the time it comes out of the showerhead and the time it touches your skin. The newer and more expensive models are much better at maintaining water temperature.
- Easy Installation – No one wants to battle with installing a new showerhead. Most models are fairly easy to install and many of those don’t even require tools. Look for the models that state they are easily installed and you will save yourself a lot of frustration and time.
- Easily Adjusted – If your showerhead states that it has 6 different settings and 6 different flow patterns but you can’t figure out how to switch to the other patterns and settings, you won’t get much use out of all those choices. Make sure that switching to the other settings and water patterns is easy to understand and work.
- Durability – You want the showerhead you purchase to last a long time, so look at the reviews and comments and also the warranty to make sure that the product you are choosing will stand up to the test of time and to daily usage. You don’t want that beautiful finish to flake off in a month or two. If people are having problems like this you are going to find them in the reviews/comments section of the sales site.
With the variety of showerheads that are available on the market today, deciding on the right one can be a real challenge. With the information contained in this buyer’s guide you will know what to look for when you start shopping for a new showerhead for your bathroom. It doesn’t have to be difficult or worrisome to shop for showerheads and we’ve given you the knowledge that will arm you with confidence in being able to decipher what is out there and choose the one that looks the way you want but provides the features you want as well.
- AKDY – http://www.sears.com/
- HotelSpa – http://www.ipshowers.com/
- DreamSpa – http://www.ipshowers.com/