Wifi Thermostat Comparison
|Battery Power |
|Battery Size||Li-ion||Li-ion||Li-ion||2 AAA||13||2 AA||2 AAA||2 AA||2 AA||Li-ion|
|Universal||Universal||24-Volt Heating |
& Air Conditioning System
& Air Conditioning System
& Air Conditioning System
|Periods per |
|LCD Pixel Display||24-bit||8-bit||8-bit||8-bit||8-bit||8-bit||8-bit||8-bit||8-bit||8-bit|
|< 0.03kWh||< 0.03kWh||< 0.03kWh||< 0.08kWh||< 0.08kWh||< 0.08kWh||< 0.08kWh||< 0.08kWh||< 0.08kWh||< 0.08kWh|
| Operating |
|7,500′ altitude||7,500′ altitude||8,500′ altitude||5000′ altitude||5000′ altitude||4500′ altitude||5000′ altitude||5000′ altitude||5000′ altitude||5000′ altitude|
| Operating |
|320F – 1040F||320F – 1040F||320F – 1040F||400F – 1000F||450F – 900F||450F – 900F||400F – 1000F||400F – 1000F||400F – 1000F||320F – 1220F|
|Warranty||2 Years||3 Years||1 Year||1 Year||3 Years||3 Years||1 Year||1 Year||1 Year||5 Years|
Wifi Thermostat Buying Guide
What is a Wifi Thermostat?
You’ll find that there are numerous benefits to owning a wireless thermostat. Older homes were often built with complicated wiring systems, and some existing thermostats are completely outdated and need to be replaced with newer technology in order to perform at peak condition and lower energy costs. There are so many settings available on a wireless system that they’re simply appealing for the convenience they provide. No matter what your motive, installing a wifi thermostat in your home can improve your overall control, ease of use, and comfort in your indoor climate.
History of the Thermostat
A gentleman named Albert Butz is responsible for inventing the thermostat. In the last two decades of the 1800s he patented his thermo-electric damper-regulator, which then led to an automatic temperature control, and finally the invention of the thermostat. He later revised this technology so that it would work more efficiently. Ever since his invention, people around the world have come to expect an ability to control the climate in their homes or places of business.
Originally, the motive behind the thermostat was to easily create cooler temperatures during the day and warmer temperatures at night. Finally in the 1960s the thermostat was able to control humidity as well. The digital thermostat didn’t arrive until the 1980s, and this also came with more buttons and complex settings. In the 1990s special features such as detailed programming and reminders were added to thermostats overall benefits.
Today, wireless thermostats are incredibly popular as they are easy to use and control. Many of these devices use touchscreen technology and offer superior control over indoor climate conditions. What’s more, the technology of the wifi thermostat continues to advance with each passing year. There’s no telling what the future of the thermostat will be, but there’s no doubt that customers can feel even more control, ease of use, and comfort in their home climate.
Top 10 Benefits of Owning a Wifi Thermostat
Wifi thermostats are designed to connect to your home’s wifi network so that you have control through use of your smartphone, tablet, and computer anytime and anywhere. Even if you’re on vacation, working late at the office, or on a day trip, you can check in on your home using the smartphone app. You can also set various schedules throughout the day to maintain higher or lower temperatures during peak and off peak times. This allows you to save money on your electricity bill.
- Wifi allows you remote access to your thermostat no matter where you are.
- You can download free mobile apps for the ultimate in remote control.
- These apps are available for smartphones, tablets, or computers.
- Even if you have multiple thermostats at various locations, you can manage them all with one device. This will help you with energy management which directly effects your energy bill.
- Receive High and Low temperature alerts through email, phone, or online.
- Be able to view local weather reports directly from the app or on the thermostat.
- Filter change reminders alert you to the actual run time of your equipment.
- Adjust fan controls remotely.
- Most wifi thermostats feature temporary vacation or away hold features.
- Enjoy the benefit of automatic software updates.
Wifi Thermostat Features
Wireless thermostats are loaded with features these days, as top brands such s Honeywell, Lux, White Rogers, Tekmr, and many more compete to create the most advanced wifi thermostats on the market. This is a good thing for consumers as it leads to the invention of devices with superior functionality and programming options. That being said, each brand has its own unique settings, so it’s not possible to get every possible feature in one thermostat. As you investigate what might be the perfect wifi thermostat for your home, be sure to understand all the features that are available, and which are a priority for you.
- Compatibility: This is obviously the most important feature because a wifi thermostat that is incompatible is of absolutely no use to you. Do make sure before purchasing that the thermostat is compatible with your heating and cooling system. This is basically the very first question that you should ask yourself.
- Remote Access: Wireless thermostats will come with a remote control, and wifi thermostats can even be controlled on your smart phone or computer. Both of these methods allow you to adjust the temperature without having to go to the thermostat itself. Decide which method works for you. Some of the latest technology comes with smart apps that allow you to easily control from your phone and also viewing usage history.
- Outdoor Data: Many wifi thermostats will also give you data on outdoor weather. That comes in handy when you want to check the weather in the morning prior to going out. It’s also convenient to check the thermostat for time, indoor and outdoor conditions, and settings, all from one screen.
- Loss of Connection Indicators: Many wifi thermostats will send you an alert when there’s a loss of wifi connection, and also when this connection comes back on. This is important because it informs you on your phone when the system has stopped working.
- Ease of Programming: Many wifi thermostats allow you to create different programs for different days. These unique settings allow you to have a customized experience that saves you both time and money. Say you spend more time in your home on Saturdays and Sundays, then it’s useful to have a different program that accommodates your presence on these days. Look for a wifi thermostat that is easy to program, and takes the complication out of customizing your system.
- Display: A nice, bright backlit display makes it easier to operate your thermostat, even when you change settings during the night. It’s also a good idea to consider a large display with enhanced font size. Many displays are even designed to look like a small computer with monitors that are colorful and have good resolution. Many of these can be customized so that you can choose a background image that goes with the decor of your home. When purchasing a thermostat, keep in mind that it’s the display that really sets a product apart from the rest.
- House Codes: Did you know that because wifi thermostats are growing in popularity, it’s actually possible for you to accidentally control the thermostat in your neighbor’s home? To prevent this, companies developed what are known as house codes. That means that there will be a code assigned to the system, and therefore a neighbor’s device will not interfere with your own settings. Be sure to find a wifi thermostat that embraces this kind of conflict-free functioning.
- Memory Function: Many wifi thermostats will save information for you, such as usage trends and settings. This is a great option to look for as it allows you to analyze your energy usage and therefore have a better understanding of your energy bill. Various smartphone apps will make it even more convenient to clearly see how you’ve been using your thermostat.
- Security Features: It’s best to find a wifi thermostat that uses a password to protect your system. This is especially helpful for those who have small children who may accidentally reconfigure the system. This is also great if you run a business and don’t want visitors to change the thermostat settings. This also prevents you from having to hide your system in your place of business.
- Smart Tips: Many wifi thermostats will even provide you energy tips by analyzing your energy usage. This helps people to save energy and money in the long run.
- Unique Features: Every wifi thermostat is different, and there have been a number of different features invented to make certain thermostats stand out from the rest. Look for additional capabilities such as language settings, holiday themes, nature themes, and fun screen savers. You can also find devices that allow you to choose between digital and analog clocks, night hour dimming, and special alerts. These added features aren’t entirely necessary, but they are nice to have.
Finding a Wifi Thermostat Online
You can find wifi thermostats in your local stores, but these stores will most likely not have a tremendous selection, and that’s why looking online is a great option. It’s also difficult to compare various products when you’re in the store. Doing your research and purchasing online gives you more options and more understanding. When you can clearly compare and contrast the features of various thermostats, you put yourself in a much more opportune position to purchase the right one for you.
Once you find the perfect wifi thermostat for you, you’re going to find that getting your indoor climate to the right temperature is easier than ever before. Wifi thermostats come with a variety of features and customizable settings, and with each brand competing to create the best system, there are a lot of unique systems out there that offer superior technology and performance. Begin by determining which features are most important for your home or business, and then compare prices, styles, and features online. This will take the guesswork out of finding the perfect thermostat.
Purchasing a wifi thermostat is a wonderful way to save you both time and money, adding convenience to your daily life while also achieving the ideal inner climate in your home or place of business. There are so many wifi thermostat systems on the market, that it can seem daunting to find the one that’s right for you. When searching for the perfect system for you, it’s best to do your homework and narrow down your search by doing plenty of research. Once you know more about these remarkable machines and what features they have to offer, you’ll be better able to choose the perfect thermostat.
We’ve explored the top rated wifi thermostats on the market, and all of these models are loved for their ability to provide you with mobile connectivity and more control over energy usage in your home. If one of these models isn’t the right fit for you, then it’s easy to go online and compare and contrast other systems. No matter what you eventually choose, it’s important to first define your priorities and decide which features are the right choice for you. Once you know what you’re looking for it’s a lot easier to narrow down the competition.
No matter which wifi thermostat you choose, you’re going to see that controlling the temperature in your home is easier than ever before. Gone are the clunky, complex wired thermostats of the past as we see greater and greater innovations in wifi technology. In the future, there is no telling what you’ll be able to do with your wifi thermostat, and how easy it shall be to control it from your phone. Since pretty much everything is going wireless and wifi, isn’t it time that you took the plunge and purchased one of these remarkable wifi thermostats?