Everest Signature Fanny Pack scored high marks in all categories and is our overall top pick. With the Everest Signature Fanny Pack you don’t have to spend tons of money to get a comfortable fanny pack that is made from quality materials that are durable and long lasting. This fanny pack is very affordable. There are three separate compartments in this pack, offering plenty of space for all of your essentials like phone, keys, wallet, sunglasses, and anything else you like to have on hand wherever you go.
Fanny Pack Buying Guide
Fanny packs are compact bags that you wear around your waist to carry essentials that you may need when you are out and about including your cell, keys, wallet, gum, and any other small items that you want on hand. People wear fanny packs so they sit in front, on the hip, or to the rear. It is beneficial because it frees up your hands, is more secure than a purse or backpack can be, and they are easy to access. If you hike, run, or travel frequently they are a great accessory to have.
Types of Fanny Packs
There are many different types of fanny packs on the market to choose from that offer a variety of features that are suited to different activities and purposes. We have listed some of the most popular types below.
- Travel – The travel fanny pack is excellent for those who travel for pleasure or casual business. They are ideal for those who are touring a new location. The best travel fanny packs have multiple pockets for all of your essentials. It is a very convenient and safe way to have your important belongings within reach.
- Lumbar/Hiking – A fanny pack for hiking is the perfect accessory for anyone who takes frequent walks, day hikes, or even longer hikes. It doesn’t matter whether you are heading out for a weekend hike or just a few hours the hiking/lumbar fanny pack will be an excellent thing to have. This style of fanny pack is a lot more heavyweight and long lasting. The durability works well for hiking and is typically water-resistant so even if it rains or your pack gets splashed on as your crossing a creek, all of your belongings will be safe and dry. The hands-free feature that all fanny packs offer works even better out of the trails when you may need your hands for other purposes. Lumbar/hiking fanny packs typically have one larger pocket that is similar to the pocket of a backpack only it is a lot smaller.
- Hunting – Hunting fanny packs are perfect for keeping the essentials that are necessary when you are hunting. Things like survival kits, ammunition, tags, etc. are much more convenient when you can grab the, out of your fanny pack and not have to go searching through a backpack. Hunting fanny packs are a lot like travel packs but are often camo or green in color to blend well and not draw attention when out in the field.
- Hydration – The hydration fanny pack has a specific purpose…it keeps you hydrated. This is the perfect pack for hikers, runners, cyclists, and walkers especially when the weather is dry and hot. The hydration fanny pack has a sac inside that holds your water. It is typically made of silicone or some similar material. The hydration pack features a long straw that allows fast access to the water without having to take the bag off or even adjust it. If you engage in a lot of activities like marathons, hikes, etc. the hydration fanny pack will be an excellent addition.
- Fashion – Some people love to wear fanny packs simply because they don’t like carrying purses or bulky backpacks yet they still want their essentials easily within reach. Fashion fanny packs come in a wide range of materials like canvas, leather and denim and offer a huge array of decorative elements including glitter, neon colors, faux fur, and much more. The sky is the limit when it comes to the different styles a fashion fanny pack offers.
Things to Think about before Purchase
Before you purchase your fanny pack, it is important to consider the following:
- What is the main purpose of the pack? – What do you plan to do with your fanny pack? Do you want something for fashion only or are you looking for function as well. Do you hike? Hunt? Run every day? Think about what activities you will be engaging in and choose a fanny pack that will complement those activities the best.
- Wear it on the front or back? – The size of the fanny pack you purchase will have some bearing on where it will sit most comfortably. Larger packs typically get worn toward the back and are much more comfortable and less restrictive than trying to have a large pouch on the front.
- Take your measurements – To ensure you choose a fanny pack that is going to fit; it is wise to get your own measurements and check them against the measurements of the fanny pack. Choose a pack that can be adjusted to fit multiple sized waists and that offer extending straps.
Uses for Fanny Packs
There are many places a fanny pack would really come in handy. They are perfect for:
- Trips to the beach
- Horseback riding
- Going to the gym
- Walking the dog
- Sporting events
- Running errands
One thing to know that you will like is that fanny packs are TSA-friendly. You can carry them onto a plane and it does not count as one of your carry-on bags. Additionally, they are festival friendly as well. Many festivals have guidelines on bag sizes and fanny packs fit into the easily and are accepted.
Fanny Pack Features
Below we have listed many of the features and considerations you will want to keep in mind and look for when you start browsing for your fanny pack.
- Sizes and Storage Capacity – How big do you want your fanny pack to be? This will again depend on what you are using the fanny pack for and how much you want to carry with you. The idea of a fanny pack is convenience so don’t go overboard when you are deciding what items you want to carry with you. A heavy fanny pack is not going to be any better than a backpack. Look for lightweight materials that are durable, resistant to tearing and ripping, and that have lots of room or pockets for the different things you’ll be carrying.
- Pockets – Speaking of pockets, do you like fanny packs with lots of smaller pockets so you can keep things organized or do you prefer one larger pouch that you can put things in? Most of the fanny packs on the market have one larger pocket with several smaller ones inside. Many also have a zipper pocket on the outside that is good for carrying change or cash, your ID and other small items. Some packs have a large enough main pouch for a small water bottle which can be very convenient.
- Safety – Keeping your items safe is the number one priority and fanny packs help you accomplish that better than a purse or backpack due to the close proximity. Wearing the pack around your waist keeps the items closer to your body which makes it much harder for pickpockets and purse snatchers to get ahold of. Some packs are designed to be concealed so you don’t even know someone is wearing it. Look for fanny packs that have sturdy clips that won’t break easily, strong zippers and durable materials so your belongings will remain safe.
- Stylish – There are many different colors and styles on the market to choose from. You can choose something more understated or you can have fun with it and choose bright, neon colors, wild patterns and other embellishments. There are so many different options out there that you may choose to buy several so you can change up your style whenever you want. Glitter, sequins, faux fur, gemstones, rivets and studs, and lace are just a small sampling of the kind of fun designs you can find. There are also sport specific, niche specific, and a rainbow of colors available too. If you have a particular favorite interest, chances are you can find a fanny pack that will display that interest in style.
- Cheap is not the answer – When it comes to choosing a quality fanny pack the last thing you want to do is choose the cheapest one simply because it is cheap. You get what you pay for so a cheap fanny pack is likely to be cheaply made and can have clips that break easily, seams that will rip, and other things that will put your important belongings at risk. Spend the money to get a fanny pack that is made well, has durable hardware and seams, and that is made from strong material that will stand up to the rigors of daily use even if you overstuff the pack occasionally. Zippers can be a fragile thing so pay attention to the durability of the zippers on the fanny packs you are considering.
- Weight – If you are lugging around a heavy fanny pack, chances are you’re going to feel it in your back after a short time. Look for lightweight but durable materials that will not add a lot of extra weight on top of the items you are carrying. Travel fanny packs are designed to be lightweight and are tough too so that may be a great choice for you if you’re looking for something that doesn’t weigh a lot. The canvas and leather packs are a little heavier so keep that in mind when you are loading them up.
- Concealed – We mentioned above in the safety feature section that there are some fanny packs that are designed to be concealed. The concealable fanny pack is flatter than other styles and looks a lot like a money belt. If you are mostly carrying money, ID, and other relatively flat items a concealable fanny pack may be right up your alley. Even regular fanny packs can be concealed under T-shirts, jackets, and coats so they don’t stand out a lot when you are wearing them. In the summertime you can conceal a fanny pack by wearing longer t shirts. People may notice something is there around your waist but in many cases, ‘out of sight, out of mind’ works well and the fact that it is not glaringly obvious will urge the pickpockets to keep on going.
Now that you have learned a lot about fanny packs you may be ready to go out and get one or two for yourself. Kids love fanny packs and are excellent for providing them a way to keep necessary things close at hand without having to worry about carrying them in their hands and being set down and forgotten.
Despite being popular over 20 years ago, they have never gone out of style and are making a grand comeback with more styles, color options, design choices, and sizes than ever before. The affordable cost for most fanny packs allow them to be purchased by almost anyone with any type of budget.
If you are looking for a fanny pack strictly for fashion you will not need to spend as much as you would want to if you are choosing one for hiking, traveling, or hunting. Determine your needs first and foremost before you start browsing. This will keep you from choosing the wrong fanny pack and being disappointed.
The information you have gotten from this guide and the included reviews of the top-rated fanny packs on the market will help you make a confident decision on the right fanny pack for your needs.