I’m sure you’ll agree that a fishing waders must have a great fit so that you can move easily with them, and be well constructed to keep you dry. That was our top criteria for selecting the best fishing waders. If you want to cut to the chase, the Caddis Men’s Stocking Foot Wader scored high above the other waders we tested and is our top pick. These waterproof, breathable waders prevent water from getting into the waders and keep your feet dry and comfortable while you are fishing.
Fishing Waders Comparison
– XX Large
– XX Large
|7 – 13||Small|
– XX Large
|7 – 13||Small|
– XX Large
|7 – 13||10||Small|
– X Large
|32.00 – 37.00||32.00 – 36.00||32.00 – 37.00||30.50 – 35.50||28.00 – 36.00||30.50 – 35.50||29.00 – 35.00||30.50 – 35.50||33.00||32.00 – 36.00|
|43 – 64||43 – 51||43 – 55||42 – 51||37 – 49||42 – 51||38 – 45||42 – 51||45||43 – 51|
|NA||NA||9 – 12||7 – 13||6 – 14||7 – 13||5 – 14||7 – 13||10||9 – 12|
Fishing Waders Buying Guide
Facts to Consider
There are several factors that you want to consider and look for when you are shopping for the right pair of fishing waders. We have outlined the most common things to look for in a good quality pair. The right pair of fishing waders will protect you from the elements, keep you dry and make your time fishing much more enjoyable.
- Breathability – Waders have changed a lot over the years. When fishing, people will normally lose as much as a pint of water every hour. This water loss can result in feeling damp and also cause a drop in body temperature. Modern waders are made with breathable fabric that allows moisture to pass through the material and away from the body, while at the same time preventing water from getting inside the waders. This reduces the effects on the body and keeps the wearer dry and comfortable regardless of the season.
- Construction – You want to purchase a pair of waders that have been designed for real fishing situations like dealing with fishing hooks, barbed wire fencing and thorn bushes. It is not uncommon for a fishing fly to snag your waders every once in awhile. This shouldn’t ruin your fishing trip though. The right pair of fishing waders is durable and long lasting and can handle instances such as these without getting ruined. Most waders are made with multiple layers in heavy wear areas that will give them plenty of resistance against abrasions. You want to look for 3 ply construction, especially in the lower extremities such as the feet and knees. 5 ply is even better if you can find it. You will be protected from hooks, water and most other typical fishing dangers.
- Fit – You want to choose a wader that can provide the best fit possible. This will definitely pay off at the end of a long fishing trip. You want to have plenty of range of motion to allow for kneeling to take care of fish, navigating through the bushes and vegetation that is common next to streams, and climbing over any rocks. Flexibility in the knees is much better than a straight leg design and allows for more freedom of movement. In addition, look for waders that have right and left foot specifics. This will eliminate excess fabric in the boot that can result from a generic foot. Women should look for good women’s fishing waders. Men’s waders will not be comfortable. There are plenty of companies that make women specific waders that will feel good and look good too.
- Features – You want to choose a pair of waders that have extra features such as suspenders, gravel guards, pockets and wader belts as well. All of these features combine to make a great pair of fishing waders that will be comfortable, keep you dry and will also be functional as well.
- Repairs and Warranties – At some point, a pair of waders that your purchase may develop a leak. The majority of waders on the market come with repair kits that can take care of any leaks that come about. Of course, you don’t want to be fixing leaks frequently so if you find yourself doing this, you may want to consider looking for a higher quality pair. Look for fishing waders that offer good repair and replacement warranties. The best quality products will have companies that want to stand behind their products and they can do that with an excellent warranty.
Fishing Wader Styles
There are three types of waders on the market:
- Hip Waders – Hip waders are easy to put on and take off. They can be worn easily over regular clothing and offer plenty of coverage to handle your wading tasks. They are the perfect waders for small streams, clamming, big game hunting in boggy terrain, launching and recovering boats and more. Hip waders typically have belt straps to help hold them up.
- Waist High Waders – Waist high waders are just like a pair of pants. They are between hip waders and chest waders. Most have belt loops and a wader belt to hold them up securely. This type of wader offers the angler extra coverage to handle getting where they want to go while fishing. Most waist high waders leave the upper body exposed so you stay comfortable in warm weather. They provide a little more coverage than hip waders and not as much as chest waders provide.
- Chest Waders – This type of fishing wader is the most versatile of all the types. This is mainly due to the fact that they provide the most coverage. Chest waders are perfect for the wader that will be going into chest deep water to reach a specific spot or if the user will be standing in water higher than waist deep on a regular basis.
Since water can be unpredictable at times, having chest waders can eliminate problems that can occur from sudden drop offs, strong currents and waves. When wading in chest high water, be certain to use a wading belt for safety. If you’ll be using a float tube or pontoon boat for fishing, chest waders are the perfect gear. They are also great for protection against wind and rain.
Fishing waders are a common part of fly fishing and other types of fishing that involve being in the water. They are also good for working in extremely wet conditions such as ponds, streams and around messy and wet animals. Many farmers even use fishing waders to rinse out dairy barns. They are designed to keep the wearer dry and comfortable in extremely wet conditions and make fishing in streams much more enjoyable.
There are a lot of different styles of fishing waders on the market; so many, in fact, that it can be a little overwhelming trying to decide which ones to get. With the right fishing waders, you will be able to enjoy the adventure of fishing in streams and rivers without being uncomfortable, wet, and cold.
The information in this guide provides you with the knowledge you need to sort through all the choices. You will know what features to look for and how to choose a high quality pair of waders over a pair that you will be disappointed in. The right decision can make all the difference in the world when it comes to having a great fishing experience.