|Lumens||500 – 900||700||600||300||168||55||140||300||1,000||30|
|1 Year||1 Year||1 Year||1 Year||1.5 Years|
/ 3 AAA
/ 3 AAA
|3 D||3 AA||3 AAA||AA|
Flashlight Buying Guide
Think Before Buying
There are several things you want to think about when you start looking for a good quality flashlight. Ask yourself these things before you make a purchase.
- Usage – What will you be using the flashlight for most often? Is it just for emergencies? For everyday use? Is it for camping? Knowing what the function is will help you focus on the flashlights that fit those needs the best.
- Size – Are you looking for a flashlight that can double as a self defense weapon? Do you need it to fit into your pocket? Flashlights come in all sizes so you will need to think about the size or sizes you want.
- Lumens – A dim flashlight is almost more frustrating than no light at all. How bright of a light do you want? The higher the lumens the more batteries you will need, but for those who want a flashlight that really lights up, lots of lumens would be a good thing, despite the battery use.
- Beam Size – Many flashlights have adjustable beams which are the ideal situation to look for. This way you can decrease the size of the beam when you need a more focused light.
- Budget – If you have a specific budget that you want to stick to, make sure you have it set before you start shopping.
- How many? – Most people don’t just have ONE flashlight. Decide on how many you would want to ideally have in your home in the event of an emergency. You may think about purchasing 1 -2 or the high powered, more expensive ones, but then purchase several of the inexpensive ones to give each family member in the event of a power outage so they are not stuck in their rooms in the dark.
Types of Flashlights
There are many different types of flashlights on the market. We have outlined the different types below and have provided information about each of them so you can understand the differences between them.
- LED Flashlight – LEDs are one of the biggest inventions that have come about in the world of lighting. They’ve been around for a long time and used to only be available in red and blue. Now there are white LEDs and they are found everywhere, from flashlights to outdoor lighting. If you’re looking for a bright, rugged flashlight, and LED model is a good choice.
- Incandescent Flashlight – These flashlights have a gas-filled bulb that has a filament inside that creates light. This type of flashlight is the kind that has been around for a very long time and is what most of the flashlights were. One of the advantages of having an incandescent flashlight is that they are very inexpensive. They are a good choice if you are looking to stock several for emergency situations. They use up batteries faster but can produce just as much light as an LED.
- Tactical Flashlight – These high powered flashlights have a very focused beam and can handle extreme force. They are originally designed to fit into a bracket that is located on a rifle.
- Pocket/key chained size – Even if you have a few flashlights in a larger size, it is a good idea to have pocket flashlights if you are out at night a lot. You don’t want to get one that is TOO small, but purchasing one that fits into your pocket or purse is a real convenience.
Things to keep in mind when you start shopping
- Lumens are the only thing to compare flashlights by. You want to look at how concentrated the beam of light can become as well as how far you can see with the light of the flashlight as your only source. If you have to go outside at night, you don’t want to be stuck with a flashlight that has a very small range of light.
- Consider the cost of batteries. Cheaper isn’t always better because the cheaper flashlights tend to use up battery power much faster. Look for battery efficient models or models that have rechargeable batteries which will help lower the cost of purchasing batteries repeatedly.
- Bright, super blinding light isn’t always a benefit. Look for bright light, but not so bright that all you see is spots when it is on.
- How important is the whiteness of the light? If this is Important to you, make sure to look for the flashlights that advertise a bright, white light.
- Durable, rugged and long lasting is very important when you are shopping for flashlights. If you invest good money in a flashlight, you want it to last a long time. Look for durable construction, rugged materials and good warranties. Anodize 3 is the hardest and most rugged, but anodized 2 is usually sufficient as well.
Regardless of the reason you need a flashlight; you want to ensure that the model you purchase is good quality, long lasting, efficient, provide tons of light and is easy to use. Knowing that you have a dependable means of light in the event of an emergency, while you are outside during a camping trip, or any other number of reasons that you could need a flashlight can bring you a lot of peace of mind.
Most people have more than one flashlight, so think about buying a few in different sizes to keep in various places. Also make sure you have a high powered flashlight for your vehicles in the event of a breakdown at night. You will be super glad that you have the light you need if you are stuck on the side of the road late night.
The information in this buyer’s guide and the reviews of the top rated flashlights are all designed to help you make a good decision about the kind of flashlight to choose. Having the knowledge you need assures you of making a good decision so you end up with a product that is great quality and that will meet all of your demands and needs.