Embrace scored well in over 30 aspects when compared to the competition.
History of Embrace Pet Insurance – How it all Started
In 2003, Laura Bennett and Alex Krooglik created Embrace after graduating from Wharton’s MBA program. For a year after they decided to start Embrace, they worked on their business plan, designed and priced their new product and then set out to find insurance and funding partners. What they didn’t expect was all the turn downs they received. If it was a turn down it was being flat out ignored.
As time went on they were chosen by Jumpstart, a non-profit venture development fund that is based in Cleveland, as one of the three companies to receive their inaugural funding. 150 companies applied. Several months later, Laura Bennett starts the Embrace blog which was the first blog in the world that focused on pet insurance.
That led to several years of determination and hard work, but perseverance paid off and Embrace is now an established and well loved pet insurance company that its policyholders hold dear for all the help they’ve received in taking care of their pets’ health needs.
They have a set of what they call core values, that make up the backbone of what they believe in and stand by when it comes to customer service and taking care of their policyholders.
Honesty and openness are one of foundations of the core values Embrace commits to. They will always strive to do the right thing for their pet owners and partners. Customer focus is a huge priority at Embrace. They are never taken for granted and Embrace wants to do all it can to maintain and keep that loyalty and trust. Giving them more than they expect is one of the top priorities.
Giving back to the community is common among pet businesses and Embrace is no different. They are committed to serving the pet community in their own communities as well as nationally. Helping the environment is also a priority and they advocate recycling, reusing and reducing waste and practice it wherever and whenever they can.
Taking responsibility is one of the things that make Embrace great. They are responsible for the success of their company and they ensure that through impeccable customer service, through fostering excellent relationships with the pet owners and partners and through learning how to improve all the time. A company that thinks it doesn’t have to keep learning and growing is a company that can really let its customers down.
Seeking innovation and new ideas that can change the pet industry is what Embrace is all about. They make the best use of the technology that is available to businesses today and use it to further their goals and reach. They don’t take shortcuts on the quality they offer their policyholders.
Although professionalism is a must, Embrace customer service staff doesn’t talk to their policyholders with a bunch of corporate jargon. They are personal, friendly, and compassionate and it shows. They also celebrate the achievements of not only the company but the employees of the company. Pets are a daily part of the office life and they enjoy being there.
Embrace is very involved in the community and in giving back. Not only do they donate $2.00 of every policy purchased to a pet-related charity, they get involved in causes that help animals in their own community as well as cross the US. Some of the causes/organizations they’ve been involved with include:
- Best Friends Animal Society
- The 10th Life Sanctuary
- The Colorado Veterinary Medical Foundation
- The Magic Bullet Fund
- GreySave, Greyhound Pets of America & Greyhound Adoption of Ohio
- Homeward Bound Golden Retriever
- American Bulldog Rescue Group
- Pets Alive
- Berea Animal Rescue Fund
They have participated in a number of charity events such as Millie’s Million Purses for Pups and Fur Ball and Pledge-for-Pets Radiothon, two events run by the Animal Protective League. They also donate additional monies to shelters as well as volunteering their time and love to the local shelters.
When a company is as serious about giving back to their pet community as Embrace is you can be assured, that it’s a company that will care about YOUR pets too. Providing great health care for their policyholders is just one way they do it.
Another way that Embrace stands out among the competition is that they strive to put their money where their mouths are when it comes to helping the environment. They work on keeping their impact on the environment as positive as possible. Some of the ways they achieve this is by:
- Running a paperless office – 99% of all the documents that Embrace handles are done electronically. Not only is it more convenient and faster for you, it is better for the environment as well.
- Recycling – Recycling is a popular and regular thing in the Embrace headquarters. With small bins near every desk, big containers that are labeled in the kitchen and shredders that take care of any boxes that are delivered, they can honestly say that they are a paperless office. They take the bins home to make sure everything is recycled properly. It’s not just for show; it’s something important to all of the Embrace employees.
- Working at Home – Working in the office is always enjoyable, but one of the great things about Embrace is that they allow their employees to also work at home which saves gas, commuter stress, and laundry costs. Plus it’s fun to work in your pajamas and no one knows!
Embrace may not have had an easy start, but they are a company that has worked hard to get where they are and they’re continuing to put that work in to make themselves one of the top pet insurance providers around.
Qualification Process for Getting Your Pet Insured
When it comes to getting a quote online for an Embrace pet insurance policy, it couldn’t be easier. You will need to have some information before you get started getting your quote and setting up your policy. This information will help the process go faster so you can get your pet’s health plan started.
- Dog’s name
- Breed or breed mix
- Age (approximate is fine)
- Zip code
- The deductible you want to pay each year
- The coinsurance amount you want to pay
- Any pre-existing conditions your pet has
Now that you have your information ready, click on the get quote button on the home page of the website. Fill in your dog’s name and the zip code and that will take you to the second page. On this page there is quite a bit of information that you will look over and fill out to continue on with your quote. In addition, there is information on this page that will tell you more about your coverage options. You will even get a risk assessment on the breed of your pet.
You can choose from either of the pre-done plans or choose to customize your own. If you customize your own you will choose a deductible, and coinsurance amount. Your choices range from $100, $200, $300, $500 or $1000 deductible and you can choose 65, 80 or 90% reimbursement. In addition, you can choose the annual amount which can be $5000, $10,000 or $15,000 each year.
When enrolling, your pet needs to have had a physical in the last 12 months. If they haven’t had one, you can get it done during the 14 day waiting period. Any conditions that your pet has before enrollment are considered pre-existing and will not be covered, even when the policy is in effect. There is also a 6 month waiting period on orthopedic conditions in dogs but cats do not have this waiting period.
You can have the waiting period reduced by Embrace if your veterinarian completes the Canine Orthopedic Waiver, which you will be responsible for paying for, that shows your dog is not currently showing any signs of an orthopedic illness or injury.
If your pet has an injury or condition that is only affecting one side of their body, the other side of the body will be excluded in the event that the same condition shows up on the other side.
All policies come with a 30 day money back guarantee on the event that you are unhappy with anything, but the Embrace staff will do their best to ensure that doesn’t happen. They don’t use strong arm tactics to keep you from canceling, they just try their best to give you what you are looking for in a pet insurance plan.
It is important to make sure that you know exactly what will be covered and what won’t be before you sign up. When you have as much information as possible pre-enrollment, you’ll know exactly what you’ll be getting and what you will be responsible for taking care of. By educating yourself on the policies and procedures of the pet insurance plan you choose, there will be no expected reimbursements that end up not being covered.
Coverage Plans Embrace Pet Insurance Offers
Embrace’s goal is to make insuring your pet very simple. They have one basic plan that covers your pets and a clear list on exclusions that are not covered. This will make it very easy for you to know what your pet is covered for and what it isn’t. This avoids problems from occurring later when you go to file a claim and then find out that things are not covered. Everything listed below is covered unless it is a pre-existing condition that your pet has.
- Breed specific conditions (not pre-existing)
- Cancer treatments
- Diagnostic testing
- Imaging – MRI, ultrasound, X-rays
- Nursing care due to illness or injury
- Alternative therapy (acupuncture, chiropractic care, reiki, massage therapy, etc)
- Rehabilitation due to injury or illness
- ER and specialist care
- Prescriptions drugs (optional)
- Wellness care (optional) includes wellness exams, spay/neuter, vaccinations, titer test, flea, tick and heartworm medications, fecal exam, routine blood tests, umbilical hernia repair, gastropexy, nail trimming, routine anal gland expression, teeth cleaning, dental illness, prescription diet food, etc)
The wellness rewards option that Embrace offers is two levels; $200 and $400 per year. This plan is not available as a standalone and must be added to a policy. You can start using it the day you sign up and there are no deductibles, co-pays or waiting periods.
The following list is NOT covered under the Embrace Pet Insurance Plan
- Pre-existing conditions – anything that the pet had prior to coverage beginning
- Prosthetic limbs
- Mobility aids
- Breeding, pregnancy, and whelping
- Pet training sessions
- Cremation and burial
- Intentional injury caused by pet owner or any other pet or person in the home
- Injury or illness caused from fighting, neglect, racing or cruelty
- Tail docking
- Ear cropping
- Dew claw removal (unless medically necessary)
- DNA testing
- Organ transplants
- Stem cell therapy not medically necessary
- Avian flu
- Nuclear war
- Treatment for an illness related to the teeth and/or gums (dental cleanings and illness treatment available under the wellness program)
If there is any question about something being covered, your safest move is to call and ask one of the customer representatives who can answer your questions right away.
Filing a Claim with Embrace Pet Insurance
When your pet is hurt or sick, you don’t want to have to struggle through trying to submit a claim. That’s why Embrace makes the claim filing process as easy and painless as possible. The steps to filing a claim are outlined below:
- Print out the claim form
- Fill out the boxes on the form stating whether it’s for routine care or an accident or illness
- If it’s for an illness or injury, have a veterinarian fill out page two of the claim form
- Attach itemized invoices from the vet visit. These invoices should show that the bill has been paid for in full
- Send everything in through fax or regular mail, faxing the information in will result in getting your claim processed faster and your refund back to you sooner
- Receive your check in the mail or sign up with Embrace to get your reimbursement direct deposited right into your bank account.
Things that can cause delays in your claim being processed is to not have the right forms filled out, not have the invoices attached, not paying for the vet visit before sending the claim and sending a claim in for a procedure that is questionably a pre-existing condition. As long as you do your part, the claims department can process your claim in a timely manner and get your money back to you as soon as possible.
Help and Support Services
Embrace is all about customer support and satisfaction. If you ever need questions answered or a problem solved, they will do their best to make sure that they solve your problem in the fastest manner possible to your satisfaction. Whether you call their toll free number or send an email, your questions will be addressed by friendly, helpful staff that is there to help you.
If you are facing an expensive surgery for your pet, you can call and talk to the claims department to see about getting pre-authorization for the procedure. This can take a lot of the financial responsibility off so you can concentrate on your pet rather than on how to pay for what they need.
Veterinary Clinics You Can Go To
As long as the veterinarian you choose or currently go to is licensed and registered, you are able to take your pet to them and you will be covered under the provisions of your policy. All of the exclusions and waiting periods apply.
Contact Information and Where to Find Embrace Pet Insurance on Social Media
If you need to contact Embrace for questions, problems or even sales information, there are several ways to go about it. They are happy and ready to receive your call or email, so feel free to send correspondence anytime. Their hours are Monday-Friday 8:30am to 8:00pm and Saturday 9:00am to 1:00pm. All times are EST.
Email: On the website in an embedded form
Telephone Support – 1 (800) 511-9172
Local phone # – 1-(440) 386-2406
Fax – 1 – (800) 238-1042
If you want to send regular mail you can mail claims and correspondence to:
Embrace Pet Insurance
PO Box 22188
Beachwood, OH 44122-0188
If you’d like to follow Embrace Pet Insurance on their social media sites (and they invite all of their customers and supporters to do that) you can find them at the links below.
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/EmbracePetInsurance
Twitter – https://twitter.com/embracepetins
Pinterest – http://www.pinterest.com/embracepet/
With a customer focused company like Embrace you will always feel that you are their focus, and that’s because you are. Without you, there is no Embrace Pet Insurance company and they have acknowledged this all along. Making their policy holders their top priority is what makes them such a well loved company, add in great coverage, easy to file claims and fast reimbursements and you have a company that can give you the pet insurance you want and can rely on for a great price too.
- VPI Pet Insurance – http://www.embracepetinsurance.com/