That was our top criteria for selecting the best dog joint supplement.
If you want to cut to the chase the Dasuquin with MSM by Nutramax scored at the top of the charts and is our top pick for your canine friend.
Dog Joint Supplment Comparison
|60 – 120||20 – 110||60 – 120||15 – 60||30 – 120||30 – 120||45 – 138||25 – 120||10 – 138||0 – 120|
|Vitamin C||Omega 3, 6||Glucosamine||Glucosamine||Vitamin C, E|
|6 oz||16 oz||150|
|32 fl oz||80 oz|
|Soft Chews||Moist Treat||Chewable|
Dog Joint Supplment Buying Guide
Why are Joint Supplements Important?
When you give your dog a quality joint supplement it can change and improve their mobility, quality of life and improve the function of their joints as well. If your dog doesn’t have any joint issues or arthritis it is not necessary to give these supplements but if they do, you will find that the addition of this type of supplement can make all the difference in the world.
Dog joint supplements contain many different ingredients that focus on joint support. Some can also contain ingredients that help with musculoskeletal support as well. With so many choices on the market it is important to know which ones provide which kind of support and choose based on what your dog needs the most.
If your dog is at risk for developing arthritis or joint problems, it will not hurt them to have these supplements. They can actually work as a preventative if the supplements are given before the dog starts struggling with these issues.
There are several different forms that your dog’s joint supplement can be in the form of: liquid, tablets and ground up into a powder. All three forms offer the same benefits so it is up to your personal preference and which one you think your dog would take easiest as to which form you want to use. The following points need to be a part of the dog joint supplement that you choose.
What are the Concentrations in the Product? – You want to look at the guaranteed concentrations of ingredients in the joint supplements that you are considering. You can even compare the concentrations in one to the concentrations in another to see which has more of the active ingredients you are seeking. You want to go with the product that will provide your dog with the highest level of joint protection and therapy.
What are the Anti-Inflammatory Agents? – Anti-inflammatory ingredients are a major part of successful joint therapy. You want to ensure that the dog joint supplements you are considering have these anti-inflammatory agents in them. MSM is one such anti-inflammatory. This ingredient is safe for the dogs and very effective at relieving the pain from arthritis and dysplasia. Another anti-inflammatory is Bromelain. The concentrations of this ingredient are typically less than MSM but it is still an important part of joint therapy.
The Benefits of Antioxidants – Antioxidants are always good but when it comes to being an ingredient in dog joint supplements it is a very significant player in the overall health of your dog as well as the health of their joints. Vitamin C is one of the biggest antioxidants and plays a major role in the repair and construction of cartilage in the dog’s body. Look for the products that have the highest levels of antioxidants in their ingredient list. Other common antioxidants will include Grape Seed Extract and Vitamin E as well.
How Pure are the Ingredients? – There are some dog joint supplements on the market that use lower quality ingredients to save money on the manufacturing of the product. This means lower quality benefits for your dog as well. You want the purity of the Glucosamine HCI to be at least 99% pure and Glucosamine Sulfate should be 97% pure for the best results for your pet.
Meat Flavored Supplements are Best – Since dogs are naturally carnivorous, it is best to find the joint supplements that are meat flavored as opposed to citrus, apple or grape flavored. Dogs are not generally fruit eaters, so even though humans may like those flavorings, dogs will prefer the meat flavored kind hands down.
What is the Guarantee and How Good is it? – Always look for the dog joint supplements that have a good guarantee offered. This shows that the company stands behind their supplement. They hold themselves to a higher standard because of that guarantee and that reassurance is passed on to the consumer. Companies that offer guarantees are also more often than not, more customer-focused since they want to make each customer feel like they have purchased a great product that has a great guarantee along with it.
Ideally you want to look for products that have the following qualities:
- Quality ingredients that are all natural?
- Doesn’t contain any known allergens
- Doesn’t have any known side effects
- Provides positive results in less time
- Doesn’t have any contraindications with other meds
- Reviews from actual users that attest to the effectiveness of the product
There are three common forms that dog joint supplements are typically sold in.
Each form has its benefits and drawbacks. You may already know that your dog does better with one form over another. All of the forms are adequate for providing the dog with a good supplement. When pills or tablets are formed, binders will have been added to make the different ingredients stick to each other. This will make the ingredients much more difficult for your dog to absorb all of it. By using a liquid form all of the important parts of the supplement are ready for the dog to absorb and can be absorbed freely.
Does Your Dog Need Dog Joint Supplements?
Most people who own dogs know that there are dog joint supplements available but how do you know if your dog would benefit from them? If you notice your dog doing the things we have listed below, give your veterinarian a call to see if they feel your dog could benefit from taking these supplements.
- Gets up from a lying down position very slowly or as if it hurts them to get up
- Licks their joints often
- Doesn’t like to run, so avoids it or looks like it pains them to run
- Won’t go up or down steps or struggles to do so
- Frequently limps for an unknown reason
- Cries out unexpectedly for an unknown reason
- Doesn’t want to jump or play
All of the above signs of joint problems or arthritis can be helped with the regular and proper use of a quality dog joint supplement. More often than not, when you have chosen one that is made with quality ingredients and the supplement is given regularly, your dog will start to move freer and they will seem much more energetic.
Anyone who has had a back, knee or arthritis problem can relate to the sudden pain that can hit when moving, getting up or down from a sitting position or even walking for extended periods of time. Your dog feels this same type of pain to the same degree of intensity.
For this reason, it is important to talk to your veterinarian right away if you notice any of the above behavior in your dog so you can help relieve their discomfort and help them have a better quality of life.
Ingredient List and Benefits
The following list of ingredients is commonly found in many quality dog joint supplements. We have outlined the benefits that these individual ingredients can have on the joints and connective tissue of your dog. Your veterinarian will be able to tell you what type of combination to look for when it comes to your specific pet.
- Acetylsalicylic Acid – this is an over the counter NSAID for pain relief
- Avocados or Soy beans (most often seen together) – Protects the cartilage
- Bromelain –Can provide pain relief
- Carprofen – A prescription pain reliever for the dog that has tremendous arthritis or joint issues
- Chondroitin – Blocks the destructive enzymes
- Citrus Bioflavinoids – Has shown to have an effect on inflammation the dog may have in the joints.
- Creatine – Can increase muscular strength in the dog
- Deracoxib – Another prescription NSAID pain reliever
- Glucosamine– A cartilage rebuilder
- Hyaluronic Acid – one of the components of synovial fluid and provides lubrication for the joints so movement is less painful
- Manganese – helps the dog absorb the Vitamin C easier
- MSM – an anti-inflammatory and is beneficial for reducing swelling
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids (and sometimes Omega 6) has anti-inflammatory properties to help with reducing swelling
- Perna Mussel – This is a natural source of both Glucosamine and Chondroitin
- Quercetin – Reduces damaging enzymes
- Tart Cherry – Has both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties
- Vitamin C – Protects from free radicals and provides a major antioxidant with a lot of healing properties.
The information in this buyer’s guide can help you understand what the important ingredients are in a dog joint supplement and how to choose one that is high quality and reputable. When a dog is in pain it can affect their entire quality of life, just like with humans, so it is important to help relieve them of this pain as soon as possible.
In conjunction with good veterinary care, the right dog joint supplement can give your dog a new lease on life and enable them to run and play, go up and down stairs and even hump around like they did when they were younger.
With so many choices on the market, it is important to know what makes up a good quality dog joint supplement and what is fluff. This buyer’s guide and the top rated reviews we have provided for you will take the guesswork out of choosing a supplement that can make your dog pain free and happy for a long time.
- Dasuquin – http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/
- Glycanaid-HA – http://www.topdoghealth.com/
- Missing Link – http://www.missinglinkproducts.com/