Airsoft Gun Buying Guide
Different Types of Airsoft Guns
There are three basic types of airsoft guns on the market today. The different types are determined by the method they dispel the BBs. The three types are gas powered, electric powered and spring powered.
- Gas powered – the type of gas used for airsoft guns is a “green gas” which is a form of compressed propane gas. It is kept in the reservoir in the gun. When the trigger is pulled, a burst of gas will force the pellet out of the gun.
This propane gas will also be part of recharging the blot and cocking the gun again. The gas powered airsoft guns provide the mist realistic shooting experience, so if you’re looking for a realistic experience, the gas powered airsoft gun will be a good choice.
- Electric Powered – Electric powered airsoft guns are the most powerful of all the types. They are powered with a spring and also a battery powered motor that helps them cock the gun over and over so they are able to shoot repeatedly with little effort.
- Spring-powered – All airsoft guns started off as spring-powered but over time, there were variations. The springs that are used in a spring powered airsoft gun drive a plunger that then pushes the BBs down the barrel and out of the gun. Spring-powered airsoft guns have slow rates of fire and you will need to cock the gun before each shot that you make.
Considerations to Think About When Purchasing an Airsoft Gun
There are several things that you will want to take a look at when it comes to choosing the right airsoft gun. These considerations will all help determine the path and airsoft gun choice you end up making.
- Setting a Budget – You need to have a good range or idea of what you want to spend on the airsoft gun you choose. The price range you come up with should be based on how much money you want to spend and also how involved in the sport you want to get.
If you are brand new to using an airsoft gun, you are better off starting off with a less expensive gun that you can use to get used to everything. The major benefit to starting off with a cheaper airsoft gun in the beginning is because if anything happens while you are learning, you will not be losing an expensive and costly gun.
- What Kind of Play?- There are several different kinds of play that you could engage in when it comes to airsoft gun play: CQB, sniping, support gunner or some other position. You have to choose your role before you can choose your gun, or you should choose the role first. There is no point in purchasing a gun for a role that you will never end up playing. Certain guns are better suited for specific positions so take this information and use it to choose not only the right position, but the right gun to go with that role as well.
- How Much should it Weigh? – The weight of the gun you play with is an important factor. Getting a heavy gun when you are doing to a lot of running around can tire you out really quickly. Choose a gun that you will be able to maneuver and run around with on a fairly easy basis.
- What is Your Play Style? – The type of play you will be engaging in definitely plays a large part in determining the type of airsoft gun you purchase. There are two types of games in airsoft: Close Quarters Battle and Field. If you are more interested in CQB, look for a gun that has a shorter barrel or one that has a folding stock. If you are playing field, look for the guns that have a much longer barrel because they will be more accurate.
Airsoft Tips to Remember
There are several tips that are beneficial when it comes to airsoft. Following these tips will help you have a great time as well as be good for keeping the gun performing well and lasting a good long time as well.
- Choose stronger, more durable guns for long term play in a physically demanding environment. The plastic parts on a less durable gun will almost inevitably break when faced with a harsher environment and longer term play. Pieces prone to breakage when they are not made with more durable parts include the stick, site and barrel.
- Cleaning and maintaining the gun after every use will help the gun last much longer. Even though it is an airsoft gun, they do require cleaning and will perform better and last longer when taken care of in this manner.
- CO2 guns can seize when used a lot. Let the gun warm up before using it and it will perform much better and last longer.
- Lubricate the airsoft gun before use. This should be done with ALL guns. WD-40 is just fine and it only takes on quick spray inside the chamber.
- Wear safety goggles when engaging in play. Due to the nature of the game, it is entirely possible to get a BB in the face or eye causing a permanent injury that a good pair of goggles will prevent.
- Count on distance accuracy to be about 100-150 feet maximum. Snipers can usually shoot within a couple of hundred feet.
Accuracy, power, looks and durability are all super important when it comes to choosing the airsoft gun that will meet your needs and provide you with a gun that you will enjoy playing with. If you’re brand new to this fun activity, you may want to buy a cheaper gun while you get used to how it all works and to see if you want to get more serious about it before upgrading.
If you are already a participant, you can use the information in this buyer’s guide and the reviews we have provided of the top airsoft guns on the market to choose your next airsoft that will be a high quality, long lasting gun that you will get a lot of enjoyment out of as you play.