These were also our top criteria for selecting the best angle grinder.
If you want to cut to the chase, the Makita 4.5 inch angle grinder has the power, reliability, and positive features that make it a favorite tool for continuous-duty applications.
Top 10 Angle Grinders
|2,800 - 10,500||12.00|
Angle Grinder Comparison
|5/8 – 11||5/8 – 11||5/8 – 11||5/8 – 11||5/8 – 11||5/8 – 11||5/8 – 11||7-7/8||5/8 – 11||5/8 – 11|
|Arbor Size||5/8″ x UNC||5/8″ x UNC||5/8 x 11″||5/8 x 11″||5/8 x 11″||5/8 x 11″||5/8 x 11″||5/8 x 11″||5/8″ x UNC||5/8 x 11″|
Angle Grinder Buying Guide
What is an Angle Grinder?
Every handyman needs to do some cutting, grinding, and polishing on a consistent basis, and that’s where an angle grinder becomes of great use. This is a handheld tool that is sometimes referred to as a side or disc grinder, and is either powered by a petrol engine, electric motor, or compressed air mechanism. With an angle grinder, you’ll usually find a geared head, abrasive disc, adjustable guard, and side handle. The geared head is usually mounted at a right angle and holds a disc or wheel that will cut, polish, sand, or grind a wide range of materials.
You’ll often find angle grinders in auto garages, construction sites, and metalworking shops. In these locations they’re used to smooth or remove excess material, and to make cuts or notches. You will find various different angle grinder discs that are suited to different materials, such as abrasive grinding discs, grinding stones, cut-off discs, sanding discs, polishing pads, and wire brush wheels. If this is a lot of information for you, and you simply don’t know where to begin, this buyer’s guide will help you to pinpoint what kind of angle grinder you need to get the job done.
When you hear the name, you might think that an angle grinder only serves one purpose, but in fact it can be used for a number of tasks.
- Common Uses: The most common is, of course, grinding or sanding away any protruding or unwanted stone, mortar, or metal. You’ll often find construction workers use these tools when they need to make cuts or notches, or when they’re working with metal and shaping stone. Aside from these basic functions, angle grinders perform other tasks as well.
- Blade Sharpening: Aside from polishing and cutting, angle grinders can sharpen home and garden tools with ease. That means that you’ll be able to sharpen common tools such as hatchets, lawn mower blades, axes and even shovels. You want to make sure that blades are tightly clamped to your work table before attempting to sharpen them. It’s extremely dangerous if you don’t properly secure these items.
- Mortar Removal: An angle grinder is used for tuck-pointing with the use of a diamond tuckpointing wheel. You can easily clear old and loose mortar in this way without damaging the brick, and this avoids any strenuous labor usually involved when using a chisel or hammer.
An angle grinder is a handheld power tool that works via an electricity-powered spinning disc. To operate the tool you must depress a switch, and when you let go of the switch, the grinder turns itself off. This is what’s known as the “dead man switch” feature and it is there to protect from injury. You grip the side handle when in use, and this stabilizes the grinder so that you can perform the task at hand. Most angle grinders are adjustable for left-handed operation as well.
The tool is designed for cutting stone, metal, tile, pavers, stucco, and many other hard materials. It is able to do this with the use of a spinning wheel that has various levels of abrasion. You can find angle grinder wheels in a number of different materials; each best suited for different tasks.
Wheel Types and Uses
- Aluminum Oxide: Great for woodworking, buffing and polishing, cut-off, cutting bolts, rods and bars.
- Diamond: Ideal for cutting concrete, stone, and tile.
- Fiber: Perfect for removing rust and burrs from metal.
- Flapper: Suited for sharpening tools, grinding, restoring edges, sanding, and surface prepping.
- Silicon Carbide: Meant for sharpening, rounding, and cleaning metal, as well as tuck pointing and removing mortar.
- Wire or Brush: Perfect for cleaning metal, removing paint and rust.
There are some things you should take into account when trying to find the right angle grinder for you. There is a wide variety out there and a number of makes and models to choose from. These are available on the internet, at a home repair store and most hardware stores. You may be tempted to buy an inexpensive model, but you should only do this if you plan to use the tool infrequently or just for smaller projects. If you want the ultimate in performance, power and safety, then you should be willing to spend a bit more.
Keep in mind that the greater the size of the angle grinder’s disc the more power its motor has. You’ll find a wide variety of disc sizes to choose from, and the most popular are 115 mm or 4.5 inches, and 230 mm or 9 inches. In some cases, a pneumatic grinder might be ideal with its smaller disc sizes. These tools allow for more precision on small jobs.
You’ll find various different voltage, wattage, and amp ratings for each angle grinder. You generally will have your choice between 500 and 2,500 watts, and amp ratings that range from 4 to 15. These numbers will correlate with the power of the motor. A lower rating should be sufficient for most household tasks.
These are incredibly powerful tools, and the unit’s disc can make anywhere from 5,000 to 10,000 revolutions per minute. Know that the higher the speed rating, the higher risk of injury if the angle grinder is not handled correctly.
There are two components that directly relate to comfort of use, and these are size and weight. Unless you intend to use the tool for large construction and industrial jobs, you may want a smaller unit that is more comfortable to hold. Compact units are easier to use for long periods of time, and be sure to look for a model that features anti-vibration handles.
Wheels and Accessories
These are incredibly versatile tools, and their discs can be interchanged. You can also install different wheels and accessories for the ultimate in versatility. Be sure to read packaging and usage guides to make sure that you’re buying the right tool for your job, as there is a wide variety of wheel and brush attachment styles available.
You’re going to be amazed at the versatility and efficiency of a high quality angle grinder. Owning the right angle grinder for you is all about knowing how you’re going to use it and what level of comfort you seek. No matter what kind of angle grinder you buy, be sure to splurge a bit on an angle grinder that is high-performance and built to last, as this ensures the highest level of safety. Be sure to always read packaging labels to avoid purchasing a grinding tool or accessory that is not right for you. With the above top rated angle grinders highlighted, and the knowledge you acquired in the buyer’s guide, you should be well on your way to finding the right angle grinder to suit your needs.
- Makita: http://www.makitatools.com/
- DeWalt: http://www.dewalt.com/
- Milwaukee: http://www.milwaukeetool.com/