That was our top criteria for selecting the best tool bag.
If you are ready to pack up and get working, the Veto Pro Pac Tool Bag scored high marks in all categories and is easily our top pick for your favorite handyman.
Tool Bag Comparison
|600D ballistic |
|16.50 x 9.50 x 20.20||19.90 x 16.30 x 11.00||18.00 x 9.80 x 12.00||11.90 x 5.10 x 9.90||7.00 x 1.50 x 10.20||11.00 x 7.00 x 6.00||10.00 x 11.00 x 19.00||18.00 x 14.00 x 7.00||21.00 x 5.00 x 8.50||9.00 x 16.00 x 9.00|
Tool Bag Buying Guide
What is a Tool Bag?
Tool bags are a great way to carry your tools from worksite to worksite or anywhere else you need to take them. They come in all styles, shapes and sizes which can make choosing the right one overwhelming. This buyers guide will help you look for the features that you need and will help make the decision making process easy.
What to Consider?
There are several components that make up a tool bag. If you are picking and choosing components these are the basic ones that you will want to include.
- Strong Tool Bag Material – Tool bags are made of multiple types of materials. The most common materials are canvas and nylon and some had hard sides that are made from molded plastic. The materials used for tool bags are designed to be durable and long lasting. Tools are very heavy so if the bag is made from a material that is flimsy or weak, the bag won’t last long at all. The stronger the material of the bag, the more durable it is and the longer it will last.
- Heavy Duty Fasteners and Zippers – Many tool bags have zippered pockets but if the zippers are weak, they can just break off and make the zipper unusable. Make sure that the models you are looking at have heavy, durable fasteners and zippers that withstand extreme use.
- Waterproof/Weatherproof – You want to be certain that the tool bags you are considering is waterproof and/or weatherproof. Your tool bag may be outside in the elements often and you want a bag that will stand up to those elements and not get ruined.
- Multiple Pockets – Most tool bags have numerous pockets. Some can have pockets big enough for power tools and other bags might have a multitude of smaller vertical pockets that will hold the hand tools placed in them upright for easy grabbing. There are many different styles of bags on the market so you will have to decide ahead of time how many pockets you want.
- Feet on the bottom– A good way to avoid the wear and tear that being on the ground can cause is to look for a tool bag that has feet on the bottom. These feet get the fabric off the ground so it is abrading against the ground or concrete surfaces.
- Built in light – If you are working in low light conditions, having a ready light source is very beneficial as well as safer. You never want to use power tools in low light conditions without proper lighting. Some tool bags have lights built in that can be moved around to focus on the work area or the bag itself.
- Padded, extra wide strap – Carrying a bag full of heavy tools can be really heavy so it is much better to have a sturdy, strong strap that can help support the weight of the tool bag. Sometimes the straps are removable.
- Wheeled bags – Many tool bags have wheels to make transport much easier. With the weight that tools can add to the bag, sometimes carrying it around can be a real chore, not to mention strain on your body as well as you try to lug it around. Having wheels on the bag will definitely make moving the tool bag from place to place much easier.
- Reinforced bottom panel – bags that have reinforced bottom panels are sturdier and easier to load up. The reinforced bottom panel prevents the tools from tearing out the bottom, and also keeps the bag more stable when you set it down.
- Retractable handles – If your tool bag has wheels, chances are it has a retractable handle to make it more comfortable to move around. The handles are usually telescopic and can adjust to your height.
- Wide Mouth Opening s – The openings of the bag will vary in size, but ideally, a wide mouth opening will be much easier to load and unload than a narrower one.
- D Rings for Attaching Tools – Some models and styles of tool bag have D rings that you can attach various tools or other things to as needed. The D rings are typically stitched into the fabric of the bag with reinforced stitching.
- Metal framed top flap – In many styles, there is a metal frame stitched into the fabric that allows the lid to stay up and open on its own while you load and unload the tools.
- Different Sizes – Tool bags come in all sizes. You can get a smaller one that works well for short trips and jobs or you can get a large one with tons of pockets for all of your hand tools and some power tools too and just keep ALL of your tools in it for ease of use and convenience. The size bag you get depends on the amount of tools you have to carry and what you will be doing with the tool bag.
- Zippered Compartments – In addition to the pockets the tool bag will have for all of your tools, many styles have smaller, zippered compartments for smaller items that are easy to lose or misplace. These zippered compartments prevent the loss of those items.
- Hooks and Clips – Some items, like a tape measure, have clips on them to be carried on a belt. You want to make sure that the tool bags you are considering have a few places that you are able to.
When it comes to getting the right tool bag for your needs, you want to make sure that you fond the models and styles that fit your specifications. If you are a professional construction worker or repairman, having a large assortment of tools at your fingertips is going to be very important.
On the other hand, if you only use your tools when there is a repair to be made, you may want to go with a smaller tool bag that is just for occasional use.
The top rated tool bags that we reviewed here are at the top of the list in performance and storage capacity. All three have fantastic features that make the bags even more valuable. They are also by reputable, well known companies that have proven themselves in the automotive industry time and time again so you know that you’re in good hands when you purchase their products.
The information that we have included in the buyer’s guide lets you know what features to look for when you are comparing tool bags against each other. Knowledge is the best way to combat being overwhelmed.
We have armed you with the “tools” you will need to make a decision that you will get a lot of benefit from. The tool bag you choose will be one that meets all of your needs and it will last a long time as well and that is the purpose of our reviews and guides.