We spent 50 hours researching and testing 20 different types of weed eater trimmer line and found that performance, strength, and type were the most important factors for consumers who were shopping for trimmer line for their weed eaters. Black and Decker Line String Trimmer Replacement Spool scored high marks in all categories and is our overall top pick. This Black and Decker trimmer has three rolls in one pack; each one featuring 30 feet of line that that will easily and efficiently cut down all the weeds around your yard in those places mowers can’t reach. You’ll have plenty of trimmer line for a long while with this economical pack.
Weed Eater Trimmer Line Comparison
Weed Eater Trimmer Line Buying Guide
A trimmer line’s shape affects how well it works among other things. There are several different shapes on the market that you can choose from. Determining which shape is best can be daunting if you are not familiar with the line shapes or what each shape is best suited for so we have provided this information to you below.
- Round – The most popular shape for trimmer line is round. This shape is found in most home trimmers. This type of trimmer line can usually refill any type of weed eater but it is not designed to handle anything more than light weeds and grass and will wear down much quicker than other shapes. It will last longer if you only use it for small jobs and is one of the most inexpensive choices on the market.
- Twisted – Twisted trimmer line is great for commercial use and for clearing gardens and other spaces that have thick, heavy weeds. It is the strongest line available for professional use because you don’t have to worry about it breaking if it hits concrete or trees. The twisted design of the line makes if much more efficient and strong and reduces the noise level. You will also have to deal with less vibration and provides an even, clean cut.
- Square – If you have heavier weed coverage to deal with you will get favorable results from square-designed trimmer line. This line is medium-sized and can handle hitting rocks, trees, and other hard things without breaking. The square trimmer line works great on thick weeds due to the multiple sides it has. Since it is thicker than most other lines as well as bigger it will clear weeds or grass standing in the way easily and efficiently. If you are clearing areas of weeds and grass that have a lot of trees and rocks in the way this is the best line to use since it will cut like there are no other obstacles at all. It’s not well-suited for light trimming but if you have a lot of heavier jobs you will be pleased with its performance.
- Spiral – If you are weed eating in an area that has noise ordinances such as residential spots you can get the results you want without a ton of noise. The spiral line is considered medium to large-sized and can take a lot of rough use without creating a lot of noise. Spiral trimmer line is best suited for commercial areas where there are some noise restrictions. You will also find they are best used in electric or battery powered trimmers rather than gas powered since the former is quieter to use.
- X-shaped – The X-shaped trimmer line is great for professionals as well as homeowners and is used for cutting tough materials. The surface area and shape of the x-shaped trimmer line is resistant to melting caused by overheating and is very flexible as well.
- 5-sided – The 5-sided trimmer line comes in a variety of sizes and helps cut weeds and grass more easily than smooth line will. It also feeds easily despite the 5-sided shape.
- 6-bladed – This durable, sturdy line offers 6 blades with a ribbed design. That can withstand even severe cutting jobs. This is a great line for landscaping professionals. It fits on the end of high-wheel trimmers. The ribbed design of the trimmer line increases cutting ability through grassy areas and weeds and will last a long time.
- Serrated – If you have a lot of weeds around your yard or you have your own professional lawn business you will like the efficiency of serrated trimmer lines. If you are cutting down plants and weeds that are thicker than normal you will like the performance of the serrated trimmer line.
- Titanium – This is one of the next generation trimmer lines on the market and performs better than the others on every level. Titanium trimmer lines lower noise pollution, is faster, and reduces fuel usage on gas powered trimmers. It also fits all standard weed eaters for easy and convenient installation. Titanium trimmer line is best suited for residential and commercial use where you want a crisp, professional look.
How to Choose the Right Trimmer Line
Before you make a trimmer line purchase you should start by checking the manual for your weed eater. Some models can only use a certain width of line or it will cause a lot of problems. The manual will provide the information on what size refill will work the best with that model.
Once you know what size you need the next step is to take a walk around the area you will be cutting regularly and see what kind of materials you will be cutting. The typical rule of thumb is that larger line will cut anything below its own size. If you don’t have anything other than grasses and light weeds to cut, spending money on a heavy duty, professional style trimmer line is just a waste of your money. Noise pollution is something else to consider if you are weed eating in a residential area. If you live in a place where there are noise ordinances consider buying the type of trimmer line that is designed to be quieter such as the x-shaped line. It will be a little more expensive but you won’t have to worry so much about noise.
- Material – There are several different materials that trimmer line is made from. Light duty line is usually made of plastic and nylon. The heavier-duty lines are made from a combination of materials including synthetic polymers, nylon, and aluminum. The additional materials added to the line provide more strength and durability.
- Durability – If your trimmer line breaks down fast you will need to replace it more often. There are some trimmer lines available that are much more durable and will not require you to have to replace the spool so frequently. Look at the list of line shapes above and match the shape with the type of cutting jobs you will have and you’ll be able to purchase trimmer line that will last. If you have a lot of dense weeds and grasses or you have your own professional lawn service, it is wise to spend the money on the best quality, strongest trimmer line you can purchase. You do not want to have to stop in the middle of a paid job to change out the string or fix jammed lines from using a trimmer line that is not up to the heavier jobs.
- Diameter – Diameter of the line is one of the most important factors to consider. The diameter of the trimmer line determines how well it will cut through certain weeds and grasses. The different diameter stages are as follows:
- Light diameter – .065” to .080”
- Medium diameter – .085” to .105”
- Large diameter- .110” and above
- Customer comments and reviews – One of the best ways to gain some inside information on the different trimmer lines that you are considering is to read customer comments from people who have purchased the trimmer lines you are interested in and are using them. You’ll be able to find out information about longevity, performance, ease of installation, durability and much more. This inside information can help you eliminate trimmer lines that are not performing properly. You don’t want to choose line that is weak and that breaks a lot.
- Brand name – As with every product on the market, brand name means something. This doesn’t mean that there are not decent no-name trimmer lines on the market but in general you get what you pay for. Buying brand name trimmer line doesn’t 100% guarantee excellent products but more often than not, it does and the company typically stands behind their products with good warranties as well. When looking at the brand name trimmer line, make sure that it ticks off all the boxes and that you are careful to choose the line that works for your specific cutting needs.
- Ease of installation – No one wants to struggle with a complicated weed eater, trying to install a new trimmer line. Some types of trimmer line install easily and others are much more complicated and involve hand winding the line around the spool. Look for trimmer line that is already spooled if possible or brands that advertise they are easy to install. That will prevent frustration and hassle when it comes to replacing the existing spool once it runs out.
A weed eater with quality trimmer line is one of the most important yard tools you can own. Mowers get a lot done but there is always need for a weed eater that can take care of weeds and grasses that are in places the mower can’t reach such as along the fence line, around posts and mailboxes and more.
To ensure that your weed eater works properly you will need to choose the right type of quality trimmer line. Once you have determined your needs you will be able to start sorting through the many different choices that are available.
With all of these choices, the information you have gotten in this guide is crucial to understand the differences between all these lines and how to determine which type of trimmer line you want for your weed eater. This buying guider was designed to help you understand everything you need to know about choosing the right line for your weed eater based on the weed cutting needs you have and whether you
Don’t forget to check out the three top-rated trimmer line selections to see if they are what you are looking for. All three of these selections offer quality, variety of line shapes, and a lot of line per roll so you don’t have to change them so frequently. If you’re looking for a fast solution to your weed eater trimmer line problems, any one of these great choices will fit the bill nicely.